Friday, September 07, 2018

Friday This and That






Seems to me this wheel hub may have come from the Sandpoint Fire Department a LONG time ago. 

I know it's been in the family for decades.  If I recall correctly, the wheel and its partner used to lean against the wood shed at our family farm on North Boyer. 

Nowadays the pair serve as decor near my sisters' barn at Colburn.

It reminded me of the wheel hub with its decaying spokes which greets visitors coming into our Lovestead driveway.  

After passing over miles and miles of rugged country from who knows where "back in the day, the wagon wheel and its partner remained in the woods behind our Upper Place, probably for decades. 

Those woods were owned by my first-grade teacher.  During the last years of her life, I doubt that she cared much about the relics partially hidden beneath the leaves and brush in her woods.

In fact, it very well could be she never missed them after, one by one, they were pilfered and moved through barbwire fence and muddy pastures a year apart, both being brought over to the little house on the hill where Bill and I lived for the first three years of our marriage. 

The thieves shall remain anonymous---or iz that amomomous?  

Whatever the case, I had no recourse but to serve as guardian to the stolen goods, even taking them when we moved to the place on down Great Northern Road. 

About 30 years later, time had taken a dramatic toll on the wheels.  Still, when we moved out here to Selle, I felt the need to maintain my loyal guardianship of the three previous decades.  

What's left of the wheels isn't much in comparison to the rich, hysterical memories created when those teen-aged wheel thieves felt that their drill team adviser needed some yard art. 




Anywho, on to an acknowledgement during this week where we celebrate the American worker. 

I often refer, in blog posts, to my lawnmower "wizard."  

Well, yesterday, while Tony, owner of Pac West Parts in Kootenai, replaced blades on our Husqvarna zero-turn mower and changed the oil in the UTV, I snapped a few pictures so readers would know what a true mechanical wizard looks like. 

Tony, like my farrier John, has been like an extended member of our family for nearly 15 years.  Talk to anyone else who knows Tony and you'll hear similar admiration for his unbelievable skills.  

As a repairman, Tony drives his van for miles and miles down many dirt roads enroute to lawnmowers, weed eaters, UTV's, cultivators, snowblowers, etc., which need fixing. 

I will divulge that the wizard could use a little mentoring on house keeping in that van----but then again, maybe not.  

After all, if there's a screw hidden somewhere in that mass of metal items, nuts and bolts and blades and belts, Tony knows exactly where to find it. 

Yesterday I gave him four potatoes, almost placing them in the front passenger seat but quickly deciding that if I left them there, Tony might just find those potatoes sprouting next spring.  

He and I both agreed that the taters had better go on his side of the vehicle. 

In a nutshell, during this Labor Day week,  I just want to say that Tony and John are both the greatest. 

Both are extremely knowledgeable at their chosen vocations in life, and a whole lot of people, including Bill and me, appreciate them for what they do to keep our horses and equipment up and running/walking. 

Finally, this morning I can report that Terra's back, and Lefty's happy.  We hauled Lefty over to my sisters' last night so Terra could work him on decent footing in their arena.  

While Laurie practiced her dressage moves on Pache and Barbara worked Dusty on trail and pleasure-class finesse, Terra gave Lefty a good workout at the walk, jog and lope gaits. 

Meanwhile, her mom and I sat and watched and visited.  Twas a great evening at the arena, and we'll probably make it over there a few more times before the Last Horse Show of the Season on Sept. 15. 

Finally, speaking of maintenance, I'll be visiting someone else who helps keep my life, specifically my hair, in order. 

It's ZAP day with Sally.  ZAP day not only improves my hair but also gives my funny bone some good exercise.  

So, I'm looking forward to seeing Sally and maybe doing a little giggling today. 

Happy Friday to all. 













No comments: