Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Countryside Color, Et. Al.









Monday was mundane.

So mundane, I washed windows. 

Life has got to be pretty blah when I do housework other than the usual clean-up. 

I sorta have a goal in mind, though.  

Do a little project each day.  Eventually the house will be clean enough to wait a while before starting all over again, or dirt and wet season will come. 

We've been pretty fortunate for the past several weeks to avoid weather/dog-related dirt.  

In fact, I'm getting downright spoiled. 

At our house, you'll find old furniture, even with a noticeable rip with Liam's baby teeth imprint in the love seat. 

It's probably gonna stay that way as long as we have dogs in the house. 

We do our best to protect the couch and the love seat with the towel brigade every night or morning, depending on how heavy the dew happens to be outside.

Anyway, back to the mundane state of Monday.

 I dodged hungry bees so I could cut some lettuce, picked tomatoes, made a fresh dinner salad and got rid of more deadheads.

Deadheads on flowers this year have kept me pretty busy.  

I don't want to be too discriminatory about deadheads, but I really think nasturtium remains have to be the worst.  

They shrivel up en masse, turn extremely anemic and advertise to the world outside their planter pot that THEY HAVE DIED.

My nasturtiums have put on some of the best color shows on the entire Lovestead this year BUT when they're dead, there's nothing uglier.  

Several times, I've pulled out my buck knife to cut off huge segments of these plants to fling over the fence.

I will say, however, that they are decent enough to pop their seeds all over the place for me to collect when they expire.   

Anyway, pretty soon, if we have any more cold nights like last night, we may have a whole crop of deadheads. 

I like the wildflowers cuz they tend to discard their own deadheads (almost like evaporation) and create new beauty every single day. 

Right now, the big cosmos plants in the wildflower collection are getting ready to burst out with dozens of lovely purple and pink blooms. 

Cosmos make me a bit sentimental about my days as a school teacher.  Only, a little sentimental, though!

During the latter part of my career, a former student turned teacher/colleague would come into my classroom at the beginning of each school year with a vase of cosmos. 

It was such a nice and thoughtful gesture on the part of Jayne Davis, who wished to honor her former teachers with a beginning of the year splash of beauty. 

So, Jayne, if you're listening, I always appreciated those flowers so much and cannot look at a cosmos without thinking of you. 

Ahh, the beauty and the impact of flowers!

  Definitely, long lasting in many cases.

Guess that's enough mundane muttering for now. 

Let's see what this day brings. 

Happy Tuesday.  Hope you get a chance to smell the flowers.  

Check for Annie update below.  







This roadside garden produce venue along Colburn-Culver Road (north end) is expanding and becoming more attractive all the time.

If you're out that way, check it out. 





My red plums are almost ready to pick, lots of them. 











Annie's Portuguese Camino . . .Day Two


Through all this mundaneness of washing windows and removing deadheads, I'm feeling a bit envious of my daughter Annie.

Though she walks many miles every single day that she's on the Camino, her world and her perspective is most likely expanding with virtually step she takes. 

New people to meet, never-before-seen scenes to see. 

It's gotta be pretty exhilarating and such a wonderful way to expand one's outlook on the world. 

The more we expand our world, the more we realize that we are NOT the center of it. 

Seems like a very good lesson for anyone to learn and to practice, especially those self-proclaimed, know-it-all leaders with blinders on.  


Annie posted yesterday on her blog that the town where she was staying could use some pasta.  

Check out the rest of her experiences on Day Two at her blog: 












No comments: