Thursday, November 19, 2020

This, That, Throwbacks

 


Even a muddy barnyard can look kinda purty in the early-morning light. 

It's been wet lately, and it's been the kind of wet that I am welcoming.  Heavy rains and warm temperatures have done a number on the blanket of snow lately.

And, that makes me happy cuz I can work outside today doing touch up on the yard. Happily, a few more million leaves went to the woods yesterday, leaving some light raking and maybe even some easy mulching. 

Once that job is done, I won't complain too much about the snow. 

Outside was pretty nice until about noon, when almost instantly the bright scenes, as pictured below, turned to wet, wet gloom.

Twas during the afternoon that I kept hearing story after story about Covid, both locally and nationally.

More than 250,000 deaths have occurred here in the United States, and it seems that certain people in leadership positions keep sitting on their hands as people continue to die. 

This is beyond negligent, as far as I'm concerned.

It's criminal and abominable.  

I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that I prefer not to keep playing Russian roullette. 

I pray, for the sake of my family, my friends and all who are suffering or who have the very real potential to suffer or die from Covid that those who refuse to lead please step aside. 

Seems like a no brainer and the right thing, but unfortunately, we are all sadly and madly learning that many behaviors and actions these days are inexplicable.  








Bird lovers should enjoy the story in the link below. 


https://getpocket.com/explore/item/birds-sing-to-their-eggs-and-this-song-might-help-their-babies-survive-climate-change?utm_source=pocket-newtab





My dryer wasn't working the one and only time I've met and talked with Jenni Barry. 

Apparently, she was having appliance problems too.

We struck up a conversation at the laundromat while waiting for clothes to dry.

I haven't forgotten that conversation and was impressed when I looked at her artwork. 

In the good ol' days when our daughter-in-law Debbie worked as executive director of POAC (Pend Oreille Arts Council), she put me on the mailing list.

Have stayed there ever since she left POAC and went to the Food Bank. 

So, when I opened yesterday's note from POAC and learned that Jenni, my laundromat friend is the featured artist of the week, of course, I had to look. 

Glad I did and wish that times were different for not even thinking twice to go look at great local art.

Still, the link includes information on how folks can obtain Jenni's unique and beautiful pieces of art.

I love her story and love the medium. 

Hope you do too.

Congratulations, Jenni.  







https://www.artinsandpoint.org/shop-our-gallery





Memories of the way it used to be . . . TBT's . . .



I went to my laptop today and grabbed a few photos from its library.

And, there was Ernie Stensgar, longtime Coeur d'Alene Tribal chair.  Ernie posed for this photo at a ZAGS basketball game a few years ago.

Ernie's granddaughter occasionally hangs out at our house.  She's the fourth triplet. 






Indeed, things as they "used to be" in ZAG Kingdom.

Twas Kraziness in the Kennel a few years ago.

How many out there are yearning for a little "normal Kraziness"? 

Let's hope the day will come when we can enjoy such moments again.  





A fun time with the Aspell family/cousins in Chicago a few years ago.

We all gathered for a wake and the distribution of their parents' ashes from a yacht in Lake Michigan. 

A great celebration with wonderful people. 




A pretty time up the Yaak River. 

When is it NOT pretty up the Yaak?



The "Great One!"  

He's actually part of a planned photobomb when Annie and I attended a hockey game at the Los Angeles Staples Center. 


Finally, a song, recorded in 1965 (the year I graduated from high school) by one of my most favorite singers ever, Joan Baez.

I told Bill the other day I couldn't decide who had the more powerful and beautiful voice---Joan or Alison Kraus.  Love them both.

I'm dedicating this song today to my sister-in-law Joyce, also of Class of 1965 grad and a Joan Baez fan AND to Willie, Debbie and Annie who kindly attended a Joan Baez concert with me in Boise while they were all attending Boise State University.

Twas a memorable night, and it completed the circle of when Willie, as a senior in high school, asked me one day after school the following question.

"Mom, you know how much you like Joan Baez?"

"Yes," I said.

"Well, that's how much I like REM, and they're playing at the Gorge this week.  Can I go?"

How could a mom turn down a request like that.  So, he went to the Gorge and saw his favorite group and later went with me to see Joan Baez.

Also, there's a movie in Ireland about to open soon called "Wild Mountain Thyme."

So, a little old and new and beautiful 

Hope you enjoy.  Happy Thursday.  

 



1 comment:

Tina Raiha said...

Absolutely amazing share on the artist of the week. I really love that! Thank you so much!