Tuesday, December 08, 2020

All the Difference in a Mood

 






After coming in from finishing my morning chores yesterday, I ate a bite, watched some news, did some vacuuming and then talked to my friend Helen on the phone.

Later, while watching a little more news, a strong tinge of "Pandemic Fatigue" set in, especially upon hearing once again that the much anticipated vaccine may not slow down the virus for sometime. 

This morning's New York Times used the analogy of a fire hose.  Trying to douse a bonfire with a good fire hose is much more effective than a good fire hose trying to douse a huge blaze. 

Takes more time when something is out of control as our Covid 19 spread appears to be. 

We do have glimmers of hope, thanks to upcoming vaccinations, but we also have to be realistic that these things take time even under the best of circumstances.  I'm wagering that we are experiencing far from the best of circumstances at this time here in the United States. 

So, occasionally, all the hope in the world can take an emotinal hit or two, and yesterday I could feel one of those hits. 

I have learned over the years that when these moments come, we kick ourselves in the pants and break the routine.  

And, so, I made a firm decision:  go to McArthur Lake with your camera, walk around and maybe get some good shots of winter birds. 

So, off I went, deciding to make a stop off at the Samuels Store to fill up the gas tank. 

When I rolled up to the gas pump, I noticed a Forest Service "rig" at the pump opposite me.  Then, I saw a young woman get out and begin to gas up. 

In total character, I slipped my card, inserted my pump and then stood out in the open space, asking, "What do you do for the Forest Service?"

She looked my way and quickly answered that she worked with the seed orchards.  

In a nutshell, I told her of my own Forest Service experience as one of the first "girls" to don a hard hat and work in the field on the then Kaniksu National Forest. 

She seemed to appreciate the story and noted that we gals need to stick together. 

Later, I asked where she was from originally. 

"I was born in Sandpoint," she said, "but I grew up in Southern Idaho."  

Of course, being the local teacher, historian, etc., I asked her family name. 

When she said her dad was Jim McLaughlin, I whooped it up right there on the spot, and she probably for an instant thought I was crazy.

Finally, I blurted, "He was one of my husband's good friends!"

That's all it took, and long story short, Marie McLaughlin is a Facebook friend (celebrating a birthday today), her dad is a Facebook friend and adding to the mix, I learned later when I mentioned Willie, the basketball coach, that Willie taught two of her daughters. 

Favorite teacher for the students and favorite teacher in Mom's eyes too. 

Marie's dad Jim, a forester and graduate of the University of Arizona, had a farm over on French Road, and when we bought our farm in 1976 on Great Northern Road, Jim eventually bought a plow from us that had been on the place when we moved there. 

Moments like this: who needs to think about a Pandemic when you've got oodles of nostalgia and long-standing mutual admiration of peeps and passions to share!

When Marie and I eventually went our separate ways,   I headed on to McArthur Lake where the parking lot showed several vehicles and a bunch of folks down on and around the dock.

As I walked closer with my camera, I could see a variety of boots, a sled, a chair and lots of other clothing strewn around where the people were gathered. 

Even closer and upon asking if I could take pictures, one lady said, eyeing me, "You're . . . ."

My name wasn't coming, but she knew who she was talking to.  

Soon, I knew the same about her and after yelling out her name, she responded, "Marianne Love." 

Yup, retired Naples Elementary teacher Karen Lemle, her granddaughters, husband Miles and a few friends were there ice skating. 

Some of the group had already skated far across the frozen lake, which, if you fell in, is only about two feet deep.  We learned that this past summer while kayaking.

Karen and Miles told me they had been enjoying these outings for four straight days.  Karen is home schooling her granddaughters, and one of them announced to me that "this is a field trip."  

I also learned that the sled, which Izzy eventually occupied, had belonged to her great-grandfather. 

Don't know the story of the chair. 

Soon, the other skaters returned to home base AND some more familiar faces:  Tom Tillisch, Karen Seashore and Tim McCrum.

A truly nostalgic and hear-warming happening for all of us.  

As they all skated off, including a couple of the "MINNesotans" with hockey sticks, I thought once again----to heck with that Pandemic.  

These people are making the best of a bad situation and probably making memories they'll never forget.

As for me, my funk had all but diminished in favor of exhilaration and excitement that comes with the unpredictable and fulfilling moments of breaking the routine. 

I intend to keep up this trend.  And, indeed, Bill and I are looking forward to getting to know Marie better.

  Seems for sure that she's a kindred spirit, thanks to a lot of past and positive relationships. 











Willie sent me a note last night about this impromptu fundraiser organized by his Bulldog girls basketball team. It lasts through tonight's home game with Kellogg. 

Since Saturday I have learned that only the home games are available through the Facebook feed, so you can definitely watch tonight AND help with the needs of our community. 

As many readers may already know, all of us Love's definitely appreciate the impact of such generosity after a couple of tragic fires over the past few decades.  

Being a recipient of goodwill definitely adds a new dimension to one's life, along with the knowledge that every gesture made in the interest of others hits home. 

So, I encourage you to donate.  In doing so, you not only help people in need but you also send a message to those young women basketball players that giving is just as important as winning baskeball games. 

Thank you. 


~~~~~~~~~

And, finally, on a high note, this morning our daughter Annie is one happy charter season ticket holder for the Seattle Sounders.  

She figured she won no matter what last night because her second favorite team from Minnesota was playing the Sounders. 

The Sounders prevailed and now they move on to the MLS cup. 

GO, Sounders!  Happy Tuesday. 








No comments: