Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Doc Day and Seasonal Scenes

 




If you still have your Christmas tree and want to get rid of it, I know of some goats that would just love to devour it. 

These goats live down Selle Road from us.  

When their owner, my doctor friend Tricia, heard that we had a Christmas tree about to be dragged off to the woods, she said she'd take it. 

Of course, I was happy to accommodate her.  Yesterday she picked up the tree and we had a nice visit in the driveway.  

Twas a springlike day, 'cept for the surface all around the place.  

Yesterday's ground scenes presented hints of three seasons----winter, fall and spring, thanks to interesting ice formations and patterns, crusty, shiny snow, fallen maple leaves and bright green grass.

Add to that a whole lot of water.  In one case, while opening up a drainage area, I sank clear to a lake  beneath the snow.  

That meant a trip to the house to change both boots and socks. I didn't mind, though, because that hint of spring outside was exhilarating. 

Yesterday was also "doctor" day for me in the true sense of the word. I had an appointment with my new medical provider. 

This is a big thing because, even though I have friends who are doctors, I fear doctor's offices and try to avoid going at all costs. 

In the case, my fear of catching Covid outweighed the usual fear.  So the day before, I called and asked if we could do the "meet and greet" appointment over the phone. 

Welcome to telemedicine!

I was told to be near my cell phone (it's the only tech stuff I have with a camera) 15 minutes before the appointment. 

It's long past time for an iphone update because the connector inside phone where the cable goes for charging is on its last legs. 

Sometimes my battery charges; sometimes it drains to zero, even while plugged in.

So, I told the folks at the doctor's office, I'd be limping along.  They assured me that if the video didn't work, we could resume the appointment over the land line phone. 

All this upfront stuff was good because my phone AND our slow Internet feed meant times when Paige, the nurse practitioner, could not hear me even though we still could see each other. 

Still, I got a brief taste of telemedicine, and I wish every doctor's appointment could be of that nature. 

I have a new medical provider (am still getting used to that term) because for a few years when I've gone to urgent care or the eye doctor and they ask me for the name of my medical provider, I tell them Dr. Lawrence. 

Never mind that he has been retired at least seven years. 

With the Pandemic and with the eventual (I've found that for me it's April) Covid vaccinations, I thought it wise to depend on someone other than a retired physician to work me through the medical bureaucracy, so Paige Russell got the nod. 

I have met Paige a couple of times at luncheons and have loved her warm, friendly, down-to-earth nature.  

So, when my friend and editor Helen told me that Paige was her medical provider, I decided to see if she'd consent to being mine. 

Even after reading an attached letter to the sign-up forms, which  explained in detail how much I fear and hate going to a doctor, Paige opened the door. 

During our call, after going through her list of questions addressed to what had to be the strangest patient she's probably ever encountered, she asked if I had any questions. 

"Will you be my provider?" I asked. 

"Of course," she said. 

So, bad iphone aside, I made it through the doctor's appointment and, happily, when I go for my next eye appointment and they ask me for my medical provider, I can, with honesty and pride, say, "Paige Russell." 

I'll probably will have to go to the doctor's office in person one of these days and, it's obvious that until we change our "Internet Provider," telemedicine with my new medical provider is probably not gonna work in this household. 

Speaking of medicine and Pandemic stuff, I saw a post last night on Facebook regarding Covid testing. 

It was a plea.  

The lady who administers tests every day and then calls to tell if people if they are positive or negative has asked that they stay home after their tests and until they know the results. 

She noted that, invariably, when she calls some folks, they're out shopping when they take her call. 

Upon learning their location from people with positive cases, she tells them they're very likely infecting others.

So, if you think you might have Covid, stay home until you learn for sure that you don't.  

Just thought I'd pass that along, as any attempt to keep down the numbers is helpful. 

In other news, Willie's Bulldogs earned another victory last night while hosting Bonners Ferry. 

The win gives them a 4-4 record. 

You can read all about it in the link below. 



Also, if it's possible, Covid has brought good news to ZAGS fans. 

Because of postponed games in the California area, the ZAGS will be hosting BYU tomorrow night in the Kennel. 

Should be fun. 

Happy Wednesday,  and let's hope for some peace and quiet and civility across this nation today as President-elect Biden is certified in Congress.  

Let the Democratic process go on, as designed by our forefathers. 














No comments: