Sunday, February 28, 2021

Not So Fast, February

 




You know you've been retired much too long when you turn over the calendar to March AND it's still February.

For some reason the notion has been planted in my head that March 1 was on a Sunday this year.

Sometimes I guess we're so anxious to get rid of a month that we'll do whatever it takes. 

"It's March First," I said to Bill this morning, almost immediately sensing his reaction of doubt and soon realizing that I was probably the only person on Earth already living in March. 

Well, that was short-lived when he pointed out to me that we still really are in February. 

I've decided that I'm just going to leave that one calendar in March. The excitement of flipping it over to a new month a second time just would not be the same.

Ironically, the calendar, which features "bad girls" of history like Joan of Arc and the Mongolian Wrestler Princess, was given to me for Christmas by my former student and friend, Bryant. 

For several years now, prior to Christmas, a parcel arrives in the mail from Bryant, always a calendar and always one of unique interest. 

And, so, this morning to have rushed the turning over of my "bad girl" calendar actually made me an especially bad girl myself.  

You see my haste to wipe that last day of February right off the calendar meant that Bryant would not be able to celebrate his birthday. 

And, that's a bad thing because he doesn't get to celebrate his BIRTH DAY that often.  

Bryant's BIRTH DAY is Feb. 29, and so he has to do a fake birthday three years out of every four. 

And, for his teacher who enjoys his gifted calendar 365 days a year or 366, when Bryant really gets to celebrate---to rob him of such an important day in his life---it's just an unspeakable and truly mortal sin. 

So, apologies to Bryant and Happy Fake Birthday to you and also my beloved family outlaw buddy, Rose Marie. 

 Upon realization of my "bad girl" timing, I have decided to just tuck March First away in my over-anxious brain for the next several hours and not worry about touching the rest of the calendars in our house until tomorrow.  

Maybe seeing the March photo of a Border Collie puppy will make up for today's chronological indiscretion. 

And, so it IS still February, even at the Lovestead, but I do know one thing for sure today:  the ZAG Nation is thrilled this morning, thinking about the Bulldogs going undefeated this season and, now, the only college men's basketball team to have achieved such a feat. 

Congratulations, ZAGS.  We are proud of you. 

Last night's game turned out more special than ever because my fully vaccinated sisters came to watch with us. 

It was the first time they had entered the house for at least a year.  

We still wore masks when congregating in the kitchen area, but kept our distance across the living room and just sat back and enjoyed our hamburgers and cake and the ZAG season finale.  

It was a great feeling to be able to share the game with someone outside our household. 

I was thinking this morning about what bucket-list item comes next on the road back to a fairly normal life and wondering how soon Bill and I could get in the car and drive across the Canadian Border. 

Minutes ago, I read that it will still be a while, so we'll continue to wait and look forward to that day.

In the meantime, I'll stick to saying a proper and correct good bye to February while looking forward to March. 

Happy Sunday. 
















No comments: