Thursday, June 17, 2021

Just Country Mutter

 




The Selle Valley blueberry inspector came by yesterday, unannounced.




That's probably how it works in blueberry land.

Anyway, after putting the horses out to pasture for their evening grazing, I saw Fred walking back to his pickup from my blueberry patch.

"You're gonna have a lot of blueberries," he told me. 

Fred Omodt takes a special interest in my short row of blueberries.  That's pretty nice since he has more than five acres of his own berries to tend. 

He came by the fall before last and spent about an hour showing me how to prune my bushes. 

I had to tell Fred yesterday that I had not touched my bushes since then, adding that he did such a good pruning job that it has lasted. 

Fred told me about a couple of stems that need to be removed and suggested that the branch so loaded with berries that it almost touches the ground could be propped up in hopes that it will grow straight again.

He also told me that when the berries ripen to wait a couple of days before picking them. 

"Better flavor," he said. 

The blueberry king of our valley seemed pleased with my berries.  When he told me that my yard looked like a golf course, Fred secured a place deep in my heart.

It's nice when people stop by out of interest and generously share some positive thoughts and acknowledging one's hard and constant work. 

Made my day, and it inspires me to work harder.

That's kinda how positivity works. 

And, so today I'll spend more time at the front-yard flower beds which tend to get away from me with never-ending grass and some obnoxious weeds.

It's sad to see the beautiful lupine, mountain bachelor buttons and iris lose their luster.  They've put on quite a show around the place this year.  

I've been driving my cart around snipping off hundreds of dying blossoms, pulling accompanying grass, tansy and hawk weed and hauling loads off to the weed piles behind the barn. 

Life in the yard and garden has been fulfilling this year, and there's much more to go.  

The three pumpkin seeds I planted at the top of the manure pile have sprouted.  I'll probably remove one since one pumpkin plant is really all that's needed.

I'm expecting the two remaining plants to take off during this upcoming week of warm weather, and I expect to be dragging the hoses more than usual. 

It's hard to adequately explain the joy of yard and garden work.  One just has to live it, and I'm glad to have the opportunity each spring and summer. 

This is also the time of the year when fawns start appearing with their moms racing through tall fields of grass or curled up in wooded areas.  

We're pretty sure there's one out in our woods cuz we see Mama almost every night suddenly appear in the hay field next to the woods to have her dinner. 

I'm sure one of us will happen on to the fawn one of these days while walking through the woods. 

Speaking of babies, I think the garden swallows might have theirs now.  The two of them spend the day switching duties in the bird house where I saw them installing bedding materials a few weeks ago.

It's kinda neat doing my watering in the garden every day because the swallow mates don't seem to mind my presence.  They often keep their conversations going while sitting on the fence during my watering sessions. 

And, so with a good blueberry report and all the critter action, there's reason to keep pinching oneself and to rejoice in this wondrous life in the country. 

Happy Thursday.  Enjoy the photos.     


























A Few Thursday Throwbacks . . . .

















No comments: