Sunday, November 14, 2021

Prepping and General Health





I'm not exactly a "prepper," but I am finding myself in a  bit of a prepper mode this week. 

Why did I make that jelly yesterday?  

My freezer needed more room for the cut-up and packaged hog half we'll be picking up from South Hill Lockers this next week. 

So, yesterday, out came several bags of raspberries, blueberries and huckleberries to be dumped in a kettle, cooked and turned into tasty, tangy jelly.  

A few hours later, I could admire the latest batch of "berry good" jelly on the counter. Still hoping it sets up. 

And now,  there's more room in the freezer for the next supply of pork, which was raised in the neighborhood. 

My domestic side is also feeling the need to bake more bread, considering rising prices at the stores. 

And, so, homemade jelly, homemade applesauce, homemade bread and neighborhood-grown pork and some frozen garden veggies should help avoid some of the sticker shock. 

~~~~~

 https://getpocket.com/explore/item/a-brief-history-of-the-cheez-it?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Having said all the stuff above about homegrown eats, I will disclose that our Lovestead cupboards do have a healthy supply of junk food------or maybe not!




I learned in the article above that, in reality, those Cheez-its which Bill often brings home---often in a bulk supply from Costco--have a history of being considered healthy food. 

It's an uplifting article which diminishes some of the guilt I sometimes feel while stuffing a handful of the orange crackers into my mouth.  

A safety warning though: have a glass of water handy for a quick swig to avoid any choking-induced eruptions should you get too gluttonous with your Cheez-its.    

~~~~~

Winter is coming on, and with all the rain we've received lately, I'm noticing more dark days than usual. 

That suggests the possibility of going stir crazy at times and dealing with Season Affective Disorder aka SAD. 

This piece offers some sensible ideas for tolerating the extra darkness.  In one case, I see the same quote I heard recently on a rainy day in Ireland:  there is no bad weather, only bad clothing.

Over the years, I've learned just that and have found ways to spend more time outside when it's pouring rain or frigid cold. 

And, there's a quick solution for getting wet: the clothes dryer. 

Anyway, it's a good and helpful read for those of us in the north country.  


https://getpocket.com/explore/item/seasonal-affective-disorder-the-scandinavian-guide-to-surviving-the-dark-days-of-winter?utm_source=pocket-newtab


~~~~~


My friend Pat Gunter from across the bridge in Sagle gave me a call several days ago.

He wanted me to know about the group mentioned in the article below. 

When he told me some names of other members, I thought, "How refreshing!"

As mentioned in the piece, the group represents a cross section of political leanings, coming together for a common purpose:  retaining the rural aspects of Bonner County. 

Bill and I wholeheartedly support this group and encourage others to do the same. 

https://bonnercountydailybee.com/news/2021/nov/13/new-organization-keep-bonner-county-rural/


~~~~~


How 'bout those No. 1 ZAGS last night!

Love this score. 

Loved the game.

I especially love how Drew Timme, top favorite for National Player of the Year,  has SO MUCH FUN.

When he's having so much fun while playing at such a high level, the fans are having fun too. 

So neat to see his blend of skill and attitude  in competitive sports. 

We are so lucky to anticipate another great year watching the ZAGS. 



And, finally, another "we are so lucky."  

Russell Wilson is back.  

Should be a fun Seahawks game today. 

GO, HAWKS!  

Happy Sunday. 





No comments: