Wednesday, January 26, 2022

A Little Good, Fun News


 


I love this old barn on Center Valley Road. Lots of history. Most of the longtime residents remember it as the Fredolph Nelson barn. 


~~~~

Bridie was supposed to have her little-girl surgery today, but it was postponed until next week. 

So, she got to eat and go to the barn and do her normal thing this morning. 

As usual, she transformed into Border Collie pose upon reaching the barn door, lest Sunny, the cat, be there to meet her. 

Once inside the barn, Bridie slinks her way to her little safe pen, always vigilant, on the lookout for that cat. 

Before she reaches the barn, we spend a lot of time with the reminder "Don't pull."  

She would prefer to pull me to the barn, but she's getting better at understanding that the old lady at the other end of her leash doesn't care to nor can she run to the barn. 

So, whenever she's particularly emphatic and with her body nearly on its side, she gets to go in circles around me.  Sometimes she is asked to sit. 

She gets big rewards whenever she fulfils those requests. 

I have found over the past two months that the walk to and from the barn, with Bridie on leash, has offered perfect opportunities for low key, non-urgent doggie training. 

Never too much time or frustration but always little opportunities to practice the basic commands. 

We are working on "stay" right now.  At least once or twice, she hears "sit" and usually does so.  Then, facing her, I put my hand out with a "halt" motion and ask her to stay. 

Each day, the stay lasts a little longer. 

I'm quite proud of what she has learned and how fast she learns. 

Of course, the big challenge is when Bridie has big brothers anywhere in the vicinity.  Then, it's a whole new ball game. 

Anywho, I saw the article below and thought I'd post it because I've seen that a lot of folks I know have acquired pups in the past several weeks. 

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/05/1070572711/dog-training-resources-methods-guide-beginners?utm_source=pocket-newtab


~~~~


So far, all news about little Bridie is good news, but I've also seen a couple of neat announcements which should make the locals and the tourists happy. 

The best part of both of the announcements below is that the folks making them are local.  

And, in both cases, we're talking about popular eating establishments. 

So, good for Brittany and Alex from Pack River General Store and Pearl's and Kate and Carson at The Hydra.

 Best of luck to you and your staff.  

Looking forward to some more wonderful dinners at the Hydra and trying out the new restaurant at Beyond Hope.  


GREAT NEWS, indeed. 



We are beyond (pun intended) excited to announce that we are opening a seasonal restaurant at Beyond Hope Resort opening mid April-October. 


We are so looking forward to spending the summer in the lake! Please give us like and a follow @pearlsonthelake and stay tuned for details and updates. #therumorsaretrue #hopeidaho #beyondhope #pearlsonthelake #lakependoreille



from Kate Reeder on Facebook . . . .


Time to set the rumors straight! My husband and I are going to be the proud owners of the Hydra Steakhouse, starting March 1st! 

I have had the pleasure of running the Hydra as the General Manager for the past (almost) 6 years, and couldn't imagine having someone else turn it into something it's not. 

I was born and raised in Sandpoint, so the Hydra has always been a favorite spot of mine. So just to set the record straight, the Hydra is NOT going to become condos, instead, it will continue to be the same tried and true family owned restaurant Sandpoint has always loved. 

We will be reopening 7 days a week as soon as possible, and I will update everyone as soon as we're able! — at Hydra Sandpoint's Original Steakhouse & Lounge.




Yesterday while going to take a photo for an assignment, I saw this regal bird perched in a tree.  

It didn't seem to mind cooperating for a spontaneous photo shoot.  

Eagles seem to be plentiful in the area this winter. 

After taking my photo for the story assignment, I realized how much I love doing the feature "Natives and Newcomers" for Sandpoint Magazine. 

With the newcomers, I get to start from scratch learning the basics about someone I've never met.  Often, this experience results in new friendships. 

And, with natives, it's like the kid in the candy jar, eager and enthralled while swapping stories of the peeps and the good times we have all enjoyed over our lifetimes. 

It's definitely a "We are Familee" experience. 

What a treat!  How lucky am I to have these opportunities-----especially in January (five more days after today). 

On the game Wordle, I have nothing to report today except that I need to play Wordle at a time when "the next thing to do" is not breathing down my neck. 

I finally gave up with yesterday's challenge, having gotten both greens and yellows, but taking forever trying to figure out the word. 

The dang thing wiggled a lot on me as I made guess after guess, finally looked at the time and threw in the towel. 

Today I'll plan my time with Wordle more wisely. 

And, finally, that Dick Gooby over there in Montana is on a roll with his January documentations of Mary Ann at her best.

Enjoy.

Happy Wednesday.  













Gooby Ranch Report:

The other day we had to give the calves their pre-weaning shots since we are ready to wean in a couple weeks.  

When Mary Ann got back from spending the night keeping the elk out of our hay stack, she got my breakfast ready then headed out to chase the cattle into the corral so we could separate the calves. 

We had opened the gate so the cows could graze along the road to save having to feed hay.  

Mary Ann took her favorite cow dog Zakaria with her and they walked down the road about three miles to get past the cows so she could get them headed for home. 

I had a conference call so I wasn’t able to help Mary Ann chase the cows.  Our granddaughter had set up the conference call so she could show us a bunch of pictures of her new baby Ellie along with how she is doing.  

Mary Ann decided she would rather I was the one to get on the conference call while she herded the cows.  

About a half hour after the conference call and I had a snack, I went out and Mary Ann had just got the cows and calves in the corral.  Next, we needed to separate the caves so Mary Ann could give them their shot. 

My job is to open the gate so a calf can go through then close it so a cow doesn’t sneak through.  Finally, we had them all separated and Mary Ann got the shots ready while I had a cup of coffee.

My job was to write down the calf’s number while Mary Ann runs up and gives the calves their shot.  Mary Ann had one calf that was so fast and spooky she couldn’t get close enough to give it the shot. 

She put the syringe in her mouth and the next time she got up to the calf Mary Ann jumped up on its back.  While the calf was bucking the syringe bounced out of Mary Ann’s mouth and lit on the ground. 

I picked it up and when the calf got close enough to me, I was handing the syringe to Mary Ann, when I slipped on the ice and stabbed the needle into Mary Ann’s hand and accidently pushed the plunger. 

Mary Ann had her weaning shot.  She drinks milk with every meal. Mary Ann hasn’t drank any milk in the last five days.  

I think she is weaned. 





No comments: