Saturday, January 15, 2022

Saturday Slight


 



Gary and Diane Johnson; Syd and Diane Rayfield.

 






These January days, after the big snow and clean-up marathon, do not offer a lot of opportunities for getting out and enjoying a nice walk.

Plus, January is starting to work its monotony  as it usually does quite effectively in this part of the country.

I reached one of those frequent January moods of wanting to jump out of my skin yesterday afternoon, feeling somewhat trapped with constant fog, the house surrounded by deep snow and the driveway still an ice rink. 

One tires of watching blah blah TV, and in-the-house projects just don't seem appealing for those of us who love the outdoors. 

When that happens, I know it's time to get out of the house.  Bill came home from a morning at work and doing things around town. 

"You can watch the dogs," I said after he had been in the house for a while.

"Don't you want to take Foster with you?" he asked. 

No dogs, I responded.  I've spent lots of quality time with my dogs.  I love them dearly, but there are moments when going solo is extremely important for the psyche. 

So, my escape took me to town where I parked in the lot next to Bridge Street and the entrance to City Beach. 

The trail along Sand Creek, though not bare, was walkable. 

Wearing my Yak Trax, I also took along a trekking pole, no longer feeling too proud to tough it out on any icy surface.  

A single trekking pole adds a layer of confidence, when we've come to "this age." 

The walk along Sand Creek provided the perfect antidote to my blah-blah mood, which not only instantly improved with the fresh air and the views along the creek but also with the sighting of six familiar faces along the trail.

I even enjoyed a brief visit with my classmate Gary Johnson, a retired smokejumper/firefighter. 

Gary and his wife Diane came along just after I'd begun visiting with retired school district staffers, Syd and Diane Rayfield.  

So, of course it was picture time. 

I also saw retired educator Barbara Miller and local architect, Chris Kontor.  

So, for a local, the few minutes spent along the trail was, indeed, a hometown bonanza.  

We need such outings during January, especially with the fog that seems to want to hang around for several days.  

When I returned home after being gone for a couple of hours, the house seemed as inviting and cozy as always.  And, of course, I loved seeing the dogs and Bill who had enjoyed a quiet afternoon. 

Maybe one of these days, the ice and the fog will take a permanent escape. 

For now, the Sand Creek trail downtown offers a nice opportunity to enjoy walking and seeing others who need the same kind of break from their January routines. 

  













City Beach sign could use a sprucing up. 

Just sayin'.



I read the piece below this morning and intend to read it again and maybe come up with some of my own ideas. 

The story inspires concepts for manageable adventures without a need to travel too far. 

https://beside.media/besiders/beau-miles/?utm_source=pocket-newtab


~~~~~ 


My friend Susie aka Sky sent me this last night.

She is a lover of cowboy poetry, and she said this one tickled her funny bone. 

I am issuing a disclaimer. It's a bit politically incorrect and it includes a couple of words some might find offensive.

So, read and enjoy at your own risk. 

Susie sez this poet is from Idaho. 






We must enjoy our beloved ZAGS as much as possible this season because once more one of their games next week has been postponed/cancelled due to Covid.

But they ARE playing today at Santa Clara. 

Should be a fun way to spend an afternoon on yet another foggy day. 

1 p.m. PST

ROOT TV or Fox 28

GO, ZAGS!

Happy Saturday. 





No comments: