Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Morning Mutterings

 





When you see Mom about to take a picture, hurry over and plop down in the middle of the scene. 

Bridie has become a loyal and helpful companion dog, and I know she wanted to help me take a better photo when she suddenly appeared yesterday. 

And, she did.

I told her that the scene was 100 percent better with her in it. 

Bridie seemed pleased. She would happily sign on as a model for one of those many TV commercials with Border Collies. 




Looks like stewed tomatoes, but it's a flower that didn't hold up well with all the hail we received last night. 

I'll take another photo when I go outside this morning to see if it's revived itself. 

And, the photo below shows that it's making a slow comeback. 

While we had several hail storms yesterday, along with thunder, some folks on Facebook posted photos of snow. 

I distinctly remember about 45 years ago when the drill team and the band set off from Sandpoint on May 5 in tour buses. 

We were headed to Canada (Salmon Arm, to be specific) where, thanks to the help of my longtime friend and educator Dean Fredlund, the groups stayed overnight with families and the next day performed for the Salmon Arm student body. 

Then, we went on to Wenatchee where they again performed in the annual Apple Blossom Festival. 

The first part of that trip was fairly ominous for marching in a parade.  The ground was covered with snow.  Eventually, we escaped the snow and all went well. 

So, snow in May:  not always a surprise. 



My friend Judy told me about her experience with these interesting flowers.  They're called "calceolaria" or "pocketbook plant." 

She says that she has discovered that if they're brought in during the fall, they'll bloom prolifically all winter long. 

I can imagine how uplifting it would be to have this amount of color inside our homes during gloomy winter days. 

So, of course, I'll give it a try with a couple here at my house this fall. 









Baby, it's green out there, and, within days, those sleepy horses will get to spend some time enjoying what they've waited all winter to taste again:  fresh green grass. 

Just need a little more warmth and more growth on the grass so they don't eat it down right away. 



I'll be picking lettuce for dinner soon. 

This is my greenhouse collection.  

BTW:  the heater went on in the greenhouse last night, and it will definitely stay for another couple of nights. 

We did have a frost last night, but it was mild, only leaving a coating on the vehicles. 

I'm really anxious to start transferring items from the greenhouse but also knowing that it's best to wait at least another ten days---and then no guarantees. 

Not much else on the mind this morning that I dare mention in this political season.  

Oh, how I'd like to let loose, though, but I'm keeping a disciplined watch on my old lady filter.  So far so good but no guarantees from this proud "fake Republican."

Maybe I'll save it all for right before the May 21 primary election. I've been told by good sources that old ladies can do and say whatever they want. 

That yet unsaid, I'll wish everyone a nice Tuesday. 










No comments: