Monday, October 14, 2024

Monday Monday

 


Another lovely day ahead. 

And, a holiday.  Sometimes, because we have seven Saturdays a week, Bill and I almost forget about holidays, 'cept for the big ones. 


Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends and Happy Indigneous People's Day.

May you enjoy your special days. 

*******

I managed to prepare six small jars of jelly yesterday. 

I had totally forgotten how LONG it takes the juice in apple pulp to find its way through the jelly bag and into the kettle below. 

I remembered once I had my stuff set up outside. 

Have been doing that ever since a kettle of pulp and juice fell on the kitchen floor and I slipped in it. 

That wasn't a pretty sight or a fun clean-up of the floor and myself. 

So, the pulp dripping began outside with me guarding it from active Miss Bridie and blind Foster.

Plus, I kept bringing half the kitchen outside to give the process the TLC it demanded.   

After about 45 minutes of that surveillance and care, I decided there was enough jelly in the kettle to make a few jars and that I'd do a different set up where no guarding was needed. 

The rest of the juice has been dripping into the kettle in the utility room sink. 

And, I'll make the rest of the jelly this morning. 

The apple-raspberry combo is just as I expected:  both tasty and tangy. 

We all know that this unbelievably beautiful fall weather will be drawing to a close later this week, so today will be another busy day outside. 

I managed to do cleanup with the lawnmower over almost all of my lawn yesterday. 

Talk about a dirty job---dirtiest of the entire lawn mowing season.  So, the minute I had finished, I spent about 45 minutes cleaning up my person with a shower, hair wash and all clean clothes.  

When they get that road paved, the extreme dust baths that come with lawn mowing should end.  May have to wait until next year to find out. 

Paving has its downside and its good side.  We're figuring out once quiet dirt road will turn into a motor speedway. 

On the plus side, the two rows of cedar trees along our right-of-way should remain fairly green throughout the summer and fall. That will be nice.  





Lovin' my red maple tree, which mostly puts out red leaves but allows some other colors to participate in the fall show. 







In other news, this weekend, my sister Laurie received her official winners' circle and ride-by photos from last month's Arabian Sport Horse Nationals. 

I'm including a couple along with the announcement of their open barn this coming Saturday at 2 p.m.

Visitors will be able to see this magnificent national champion along with my other sister Barbara's Dusty who has some national and reserve national championships to his credit also. 

Plus, the rest of their herd are pretty and accomplished in their own right. 

It will be cold but the celebration will be in their indoor arena, so dress for cold weather and plan to have a good time watching and petting pretty horses. 

Plus, there will be refreshments and chairs. 

Their ranch is located at HWY 95 and Center Valley Road, just past Woods Meats and the two halves of beef. 







That's Laurie, Pache, the presenter and my sister-in-law Joyce's sister Martha who lives in Ohio and was able to attend the show.  Brother Kevin is standing at the right. 








One of the views this morning while Bridie and I walked the hay field. Those are the Cabinet Mountains in the silouette. 

Soon, with shorter days, our walks at that time will have to include a flashlight. 




No comments: