Saturday, October 12, 2024

Saturday Slight

 



Two days ago, this was the first view I'd had of my horses since Sept. 18.  

That's the day Bill and I took them to Roxane's stables for the winter.  They went early because of our trip, and rather than bringing them home and taking them back a couple of weeks later, I decided they would stay. 

Lefty, CB and Lily seem to be doing just fine, and I was pleased to hear them whinny when I called them. CB always seems the happiest to see me when I go for a visit. 

Yesterday, Steve, the farrier, came to remove Lily's front shoes and to give them all a trim. 

We have so many "to do's" around this place that I'll do hit and miss for a while with my trips over to see them.

Next on the agenda will be some clipping as some bridle paths are a couple of inches tall. 

Roxane says she and Helen (another client) ride on her trails in the afternoons on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays, so I'll see if I can muster up some courage to saddle up and go with them.

Speaking of horses, there's an upcoming event that horselovers may enjoy. 

My sisters, Barbara and Laurie, are putting on an "open barn" next Saturday at their Tibbs Arabian farm off HWY 95 just past Wood's Meats two halves of beef. 

There will be refreshments as well as some exhibitions---plus the chance to pet some pretty horses with great accomplishments. 

So, put it on your calendar, dress warmly and check it out. 
 







This morning I experienced one of those "Duh, where have you been?" moments when I saw that substantial progress is happening on an ice rink at its temporary location in Ponderay. 


Somehow, the fact that the first phase is going to happen come November had totally slipped past me. 

From the North Idaho Ice website in the link above:

NIICE operates on volunteer efforts and generous donations from the community. 

We have been working closely with the City of Ponderay and the Field of Dreams initiative to provide a community rink that is available for public skating, figure skating, hockey programs, broomball, and private rentals.

Another segment on the website explains the following plan:    

This includes a rink, boards, a chiller, a zamboni, and 300 pairs of rental skates. It will be a seasonal, ancillary rink. 

This fills an immediate need while a full-size rink is designed and built on the Field of Dreams. Once the Field of Dreams is up and running, this smaller, ancillary rink will be moved to its permanent location adjacent to the main rink. 

This will allow for increased capacity at the holidays as well as greater access for the public. 

Congratulations to all involved who are driving this ambitious project to reality.  

The website  also explains the procedure for those who wish to donate to this community-driven project or to have a sponsorship.  





In other news, a kettle filled with apples from our tree is on the stove with contents simmering away. 

Hopefully, by today or tomorrow, I'll have a new batch of raspberry apple jelly.  Have never tried that combination before, but I'll bet it can be both tasty and tangy. 

Today feels like the ultimate of fall days with the sun shining from a cloudless sky and some crispness in the air. 

I also saw this morning that College Game Day features Oregon vs. Ohio State in Eugene, Ore.  

That means I'll have the game on while working with my jelly and keeping an eye out for Chris Pietsch with his cameras along the sideline. 

It's always a treat for those of us who know Chris (a Sandpoint product) to spot him catching his always fabulous photos of the action. 







This photo shows our big ornamental plum tree apparently still standing after the vicious wind storm which blew through a couple of weeks ago. 

On closer inspection, there's a quince bush which is holding up the plum tree which was uprooted. 

I've received suggestions to use the tractor and try to prop the three back in its place in hopes that it will survive.  Bill worries about a root disease that may have contributed to the tree being uprooted. 

So, we're in wait-and-see mode. As someone said, the worst thing it can do is die but if it lives, that's totally worth the effort.  

Thousands of plums have come off from that tree, so I hope the suggestion works. 

Time to get moving for another busy and beautiful day. 

Happy Saturday. 












No comments: