Like every other month this year, July has sped by quickly.
Overall, it's been a great month for us.
For us, lots of company has shown up at the Lovestead this month.
And, we're now enjoying produce, thanks to parts of the garden that have done well this month.
It's not often that we're eating tomatoes and cucumbers in July, but it's happened this year, and it has tasted good.
Whenever this day in July comes, it seems like it's all downhill toward fall once the calendar turns over to August. Football practice has begun, and the fair and rodeo aren't far off.
Always a busy month, August offers us relief, knowing that cooler nights and days may come.
Actually, in looking back over this summer, it seems like we've gotten off lucky by avoiding beastly hot nights. So, no complaints.
Yesterday, to pick up my computer, I visited what I prefer to call the "old junior high." It's now known as the Sandpoint Events Center and it's now home to several business and church entities.
I walked in the door pictured below and immediately remembered Charlie Stidwell, sternly watching us students as we went up the stairs after the school bell had rung.
His presence not only reminded us of who was in charge but also kept most of us from wearing undesirable clothing to school.
Back in those days, the no-no's included rolled up skirts for girls and low-hanging pants for boys.
When I reached the second floor, I looked to the right, fantasizing that Mr. Chronic's science room door might still there.
After all, it was in Mr. Chronic's seventh-grade science class where I learned rather uncomfortably that removing nylons from my girdle in the school bathrooms did not work well with physics in the science room.
When the girdle made its way up from around my lower abdomen and began choking off my stomach once I sat in a science-class desk, I knew that different measures were essential for not wearing the ugly seamed nylons my mother had issued to me for wearing during my junior high school days.
Hence, the "pocket girdles" was hatched during my science-class discomfort.
For more details, one must read the book.
While posting a photo of the beautifully restored building earlier this morning, I wrote that former school is a house of many stories----including girdle problems for Marianne Brown.
Aimee Argabrite
She's the middle person.
Aimee owns 7B Copies on the third floor of the Sandpoint Events Center. Before opening her business, Aimee was a familiar face at Staples.
There's a room off to the side of her business, which serves as the official headquarters of 7B PC's, a computer repair shop owned by Brandon Johnson.
From what I've seen this week, it's used mainly as a pickup and drop-off place. Aimee takes care of the paper work while Brandon repairs the computers.
I'm extending thanks to Aimee and Brandon for helping me out with my computer. Both were very helpful, and I now seem to be back on track with my computer life.
I found a parking space right in front of the store, and the display cases filled with adorned pastries.
So, I won the lottery yesterday after deciding to drive down First Avenue in Sandpoint and see if I could find a parking space near Sawyer's Bakery.
Then came the hard part: deciding which items would go home on my first time of patronizing the new bakery, owned and managed by my former graphic arts student Becky Sawyer.
I first picked out two different flavored macarons, and, yes, I selected them for Bill because I knew he loves macaroons. And, yes, I knew there was a difference between the often confused treats, but Bill and his sweet tooth wouldn't care.
Macaroons Are Not Macarons
Macarons and macaroons are two completely different cookies. Macaroons have an extra O in the name and are coconut cookies.
Macarons are delicate sandwich cookies. Though they are both cookies made with egg whites, they are much different.
I selected the Bigfoot Almond pastry for Debbie who loves all things Bigfoot.
She is on her way to pick it up as I type.
I saw Norma for the first time in many years yesterday.
She walked into Sawyer's Bakery while I was still visiting with Becky, the owner.
When I first looked at Norma, there was a sense of familiarity, especially with her reassuring smile.
On second look, the light went on, and I recognized her.
Norma and her husband Lonnie both graduated from Sandpoint High School with Annie in 1997.
We enjoyed our brief reunion, and when I asked her what she was doing these days, she told me about recently moving back to Sandpoint and about Busy Bee Jumpers, which has been a very successful business.
Of course, I told her I'd be happy to pass the word.
So, check it out! You'll enjoy Norma!
Bill's new chainsaw
He picked it up yesterday from Pac West Parts.
Besides the fact that it's 15 percent lighter, the saw is battery operated, which means no more pulling a cord to get the machine started.
Battery-operated implements and machines are making our lives much easier---chain saw, two weed eaters, leaf blower and cordless vacuum cleaners.
Admittedly those battery chargers take up room, but it's a small trade off in exchange for ease in operation.
When I'm finished with today's blog post, I'll head downstairs and pull out the cordless vacuum cleaner for today's carpet sweep, and I'm sure Bill will have his new chainsaw off in the woods.
Happy Friday.















No comments:
Post a Comment