Friday, August 21, 2026

At the Fair, etc.

 





Well, I published once and then found that Blogger ate most of my content. 

So, rather than trying to remember all that stuff I said in the first published post, I'll do my best to replicate the photo offerings and summarize a day which included making jelly and taking a break in that process to visit the fair. 

In short, I did make jelly from a blend of huckleberries, raspberries and blueberries.  

Happily, I've discovered this morning that it set up and that it tastes really good. 

These days, with my limited diet, I've found that my jellies make a nice side for the meat dishes I can still eat. 

So, it's nice to get the winter supply going again. 


I've been taking pictures of fair and 4-H happenings since this guy was about 10 years old. 

The first time I ever met him, he offered me a prize portrait.  That was at a Gold n' Grouse 4-H Club potluck. 

Tom Albertson had spaghetti dripping out both sides of his mouth.  Of course, I snapped a photo, and it appeared in a special fair tabloid inserted in the Sandpoint News Bulletin.  

Since those days, I've taken lots of photos of Tom at the fair and as a fellow educator.  He taught with me at Sandpoint High School, later became principal and retired at Lake Pend Oreille School superintendent. 

I thought he offered a nice pose for me yesterday---just no spaghetti!








The weather is hot, and the pigs were doing whatever they could to beat the heat yesterday. 

And, their 4-H owners were trying to help keep them comfortable also. 



My classmate and friend Lee Burnett was holding down the fort at extensive the antique motorized vehicle department, which includes tractors, cars and pickups. 






These folks were showing their open class beef entries.  

I believe they are brother and sister,  both named Lippert. 


Daniel was a student in my last year at Sandpoint High School. 

These days he delivers our UPS items and goes off on some neat world adventures with his wife and kids.  

Below:  I hadn't seen Eric for at least 30 years.  

He comes from Eastern Washington and brings his horse to the fair and competes in cattle sorting. 

I've heard he's pretty good. 







These folks can tell some stories about the Lower Pack River area where some of their ancestors settled several years ago. 








And, on the home front:  jelly and pretty marigolds.  

Sorry about the late post.  Sometimes there are glitches in the blogging world, and today was one of those days. 

Happy Friday to all.  Stay cool. 





No comments: