Friday, August 28, 2026

Just "Seens" and Mutterings

 



I think I was mildly complaining about my somewhat dismal cucumber output the other day. 

Well, yesterday, as they say in the geocaching world, "I got a find!"

That's the biggest cucumber I've ever seen.  

Years ago, I harvested another big one, which I gave to my friend Cindy. It was about three quarters the size of this one. 

The cuke was hiding mostly under the dirt, which with my garden vixens, that's not such a good idea. 

Except for a few small teeth marks on one end, the cucumber managed to avoid any further injury. 

I almost didn't find it but happened to look down and see something green in the dirt. 

A few swipes with the hand and the garden giant had its coming out party. 

I don't know if a cucumber that large is as tasty as smaller models, but I do know that Bill could be feeding on it for several days. 

So, if all the rest of those yellow blossoms don't yield anything, this cuke has erased my disappointment.

Below:  I harvested carrots again yesterday.  I don't want to appear redundant with carrot pictures, but they are pretty, especially with those occasional yellow models.  



The snowberries are coming on strong.  

I'm sure that huckleberry addicts would have loved to have seen those numbers on their bushes in the mountains. 

I've read and heard that this was a bad huckleberry year.

I have also wondered, with the huckleberry shortage in mind, if snowberries have any edible value for peeps. 

If they did, we'd have a banner year. 

And, since they are snowberries, I wonder if their numbers provide any hint about how bad the upcoming winter is going to be. 

I read an interpretation of the "el nino" predictions yesterday.  It suggested that for the third year in a row, this area may not have much snow.

From an AI summary:   Regional U.S. Effects: The southern U.S. is likely to experience wetter winters, while the northern U.S. may see milder and drier conditions. California and the Desert Southwest could face increased rainfall and flood risks

As an elder North Idaho native, I have a hard time believing that, but we'll see. As always, the ideal in my mind is lots of snow in the mountains and very little in the valleys. 




On the politics front, I have heavy concerns about the future of the name Dollywood. 

Dolly Parton was very much beloved, just like President John F. Kennedy. 

And, since Donald Trump insists that his name be etched on the Kennedy Center, will he continue on and find a way to change Dollywood to Donnywood?

I hope not, but nothing outrageous surprises me these days.







Last night I gave CB a haircut. 

He enjoyed every moment, and he looked so well groomed that I took his picture.

He's a handsome boy. 
 



~Joe~


The grandpuppies came for a visit yesterday with Willie. 

Joe and Bailey made themselves at home. 

Joe covered a lot of territory checking out everything on the Lovestead. 

Bailey is especially sweet and kind to Foster, which I'm sure the little guy appreciates. 

When they left, the doggie dishes in the garage were polished clean. 

It was nice to see them and Willie, of course. 
















Sometimes they're so cute and innocent, one just has to take their picture. 



I'm lovin' this cooler weather, as are my flowers. 

Maybe we can enjoy one last hurrah of the floral color show. 

Happy Friday. 





No comments: