Saturday, September 12, 2026

Saturday Slight

 



In the grand scheme of things, it's small potatoes--er corn. 

In my world here at the Lovestead, it's a huge achievement. 

This is the first time in a number of years that I have been able to grow corn with a full set of kernals on the ears. 

Bill had this ear for dinner the night before last and said it tasted as good as it looks. 

So, it's a crowning garden achievement for this year. 

Lots of failures or frustrations (creatures eating garden goods before we have a chance) but producing this ear of corn along with a couple of others stretches my happy muscle in a very good way. 

Maybe if I get the formula right and grow several stalks of corn with full set of kernals on the cob, I won't have to utter "Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears" ever again. 













First, I saw the adorable photo below and commented on the cuteness.

It's my friend and beloved former student Chris Pietsch.

Later, I saw his written post that he had been laid off  from his 38-year photojournalism career with the Eugene Register Guard, effective Tuesday.  

 I immediately called Chris and left a message telling him how proud I am of him.  He didn't answer because he was filming that last football game of his career. 

Seeing this news sent a shock wave through my entire being.  

When you've known someone as a student, a 4-H'er, a highly accomplished, talented and passionate professional who took your wedding pictures 52 years ago, such news hits hard and fast. 

Chris Pietsch is truly a one-of-a-kind loveable human being.  

It does not seem right after all of his amazing photographic achievements and awards that his career should end like this, but we do live a far different world from our collective innocent times of getting to grow up in little ol' Sandpoint, Idaho.   

The thought that I won't be watching Oregon basketball or football and texting Chris every time I see him and his cameras along the sidelines is truly sad.  

It's been a run for him, and, as his teacher and longtime family friend, it's been a great run for me, as a proud observer, too. 

He's from Sandpoint and those of us who have known and loved Chris Pietsch for almost a lifetime couldn't be any prouder! 

I am sharing his thoughts posted yesterday on Facebook, which reveal several layers of this amazing artist with a camera. 

BTW:  the photo with the duck above reflects vintage Chris. 

From Chris Pietsch:

My first paid newspaper job was photographing high school football on Friday nights.

Admittedly it was a nepotism job, my grandfather and father owned the paper, and I made $5 per published photograph, but through that work — passion really — I was able to string a career together that has lasted more than 50 years.

So it seems fitting that one of my last assignments for The Register-Guard will be photographing a high school football game here in Eugene tonight. 

I was informed this morning that I will be laid off next Tuesday, Sept. 14, after 38 years at the paper.

In truth it probably had to end this way. I love the work so much that I am not sure I could let go willingly. 

But, I am turning 70 later this year. Running up and down sidelines, chasing firetrucks and working crazy hours is not as easy as it used to be.

Don’t worry about me. The severance package I was offered will soften the landing while I ponder my next move.

But as I process my circumstances, I want all of you to hear the news from me first.

It has been an awesome ride. I got paid do do something that I absolutely love. 

Being a photojournalist is a golden ticket into peoples lives and the events of our times, large and small, that made me laugh, cry and want to be a better person.

During my career I transitioned from film and a darkroom to digital and video editing. 

I have photographed a total eclipse, watched as dams came down on the Klamath River, covered terrible tragedies, joyous celebrations and a worldwide pandemic.

I followed the Oregon Ducks to five Rose Bowls and two National Championships and covered countless other athletic events like the Olympic Trials, the Prefontaine Classic and both men’s and women’s NCAA basketball tournaments.

Telling your stories never gets old for me and I am very grateful to all the people that let me into their lives. That support is among the reasons that I made it as long as I have.

It saddens me that an industry that I have dedicated my life to is struggling as it is. This community deserves a general information newspaper. 

I hope those charged with leading the industry can find a way to keep it going.

But it is time to let the next generation take up that challenge.

Thank you all. 




Good news, Bulldogs! 

Congratulations on the win:  now 4-O.  




Babies in the fall:  a neat idea, especially for the admiring neighbors. 








Big change is coming to the Lovestead next week. 

The eight poplars, pictured above and below, will be taken down over the course of three days by Oliver Tree Service. 


At this point, we'll ask Ty and his crew to if leveled-off stumps can remain, creating the opportunity for flower pots or different landscaping approaches.  

I'm hoping the periwinkle patch amidst the east clump of trees can be saved. 

It's been difficult for some time thinking about their removal, but they are dead or dying and we really don't want to experience another limb coming through the house roof. 

A sad happening for squirrels, birds and peeps, but we'll do our best to come up with an esthetic alternative. 




It's supposed to rain today, and I've planned some rainy-day projects. 

So, what's with the sun and blue sky?  

Oh well, I'll still do the projects. 

Happy Saturday. 





No comments: