Bill and I call them the "twin towers."
They are the last of the eight poplars, and they'll come down today. The crew expects to be finished with the project by noon.
Once again, it's been fascinating and fun watching the four team members work.
In addition to removing the poplars, they also cut low-hanging limbs from a big spruce tree in the southwest lawn.
I've had to do contortions with the lawnmower while mowing under that tree, so it will be nice to have the daylight in future mowings.
Yesterday's clump of four poplars turned out to be a little more complex than the first batch.
These trees are closer to the house, and it seemed like they were bigger and had more big branches to remove.
I decided they could be cut off flush with the ground rather than leaving notable stumps.
The taller stumps actually look good with the periwinkle patch.
Obviously, I'll be looking for additional shrubs or flowers to dress up the scene. I envision iris, daffodils, black-eyed Susans and maybe more oregano as possibilities for that space.
Both areas offer some fun challenges to see what we can do, landscaping-wise.
The photo shows Bill's plate of dinner from last night.
Homegrown baked potato, with garden beans and carrots AND a roasted pasture-raised chicken from right here in the Selle Valley.
For several weeks, I've followed the catchy videos Kyle and Ashley Nagy have been posting on Instagram.
When they started raising their second batch of broilers and called for orders, I decided to give them a try.
After all, my colitis diet limits me, and chicken is usually a safe meat choice.
So, the rest is history. I received word earlier this week that the harvested chickens would be ready.
So, Monday, I drove over and the first person I met was Lark. She greeted me with her pet chicken. And, then came her little brother.
A few years ago, I took some photos of Lark, her brother, her mom and their dog one day when they came by our place.
At the time, they lived on North Kootenai Road, but since then, they've moved to a farm on Colburn-Culver Road where they are raising both poultry and pork.
Ashley shared some suggestions on how to cook the bird----slow cooking, that is. I prefer that method and do so whenever I think about dinner early enough in the day.
I stuffed some of our peeled apples inside the chicken, added some water and wine to the pan, basted the chicken with some avacado oil, seasoned it and put it in the oven for about five hours----starting at 225 degrees and increasing the heat to 350 during the final half hour or so.
No disappointment.
It was tender and tasty. Bill drizzled a little barbecue sauce on his, and then we savored every bite of the chicken and veggies.
Doggies liked their chicken too. We spoil our dogs.
We'll all be feeding off from the chicken again today.
Ashley tells me they'll be raising another batch in the spring.
The Sly Fox Farm folks do a beautiful job of preparing and packaging the birds.
Foster went along with me when I picked up my chickens on Monday.
He was a happy pup when I let him out of the car, and Lark directed him around her farm to some prime sniffing areas.
Nice kids and obviously excited to live on a farm.
From personal experience, I believe it's the best way for kids to grow up.
BTW: you can learn more about what's happening at Sly Fox Farm on their Facebook site.
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, so I'm planning to make the most of it.
Happy Wednesday.














No comments:
Post a Comment