Thursday, March 10, 2005

Generational impact

It makes me feel old, but I'm liking what I see. There's a new generation of young folks---many of whom I've taught and most who are deeply rooted here----making their mark in this area. I think it's fun and inspiring to watch.

This morning I read that local car salesman, Jon Shaver, who golfed for Sandpoint High School with my daughter in the late ‘90s, will have an exhibition of his photography at Ponderay’s Bonner Mall this Saturday. Jon is shooting pictures for Sandpoint Magazine these days, and it was fun to partner up with him during last fall's Draft Horse Show. His photos will accent my writing in the spring edition.

Three weeks ago my son, Willie, wrote his first column "Sports Notebook" for the Newport Miner (www.pendoreillerivervalley.com). After reading three samples, I'd say he's found his niche. He seems totally comfortable with the discipline, and, as he continues to gain experience, I think he's gonna be a pretty fair sports writer.

A set of notes for a profile about Grant Merwin sits here on my desk. Grant and his wife Jennifer put a lot of positive energy into the community. Jennifer just finished coordinating a huge annual fundraiser for the local Community Cancer Services. Last I heard, totals were approaching $50,000.

Grant is the third-generation Merwin to run the family hardware store. He and Jennifer have launched an impressive, ongoing campaign to prove that the mom and pops can survive against the Goliath chain box stores. He realizes that the key to success is simple and as old as the 60-year-old Merwin's Hardware Store. Take care of your customers' needs and treat 'em right.

Recent Albertson College graduate Zach Hagadone (whose grandfather owned Sandpoint Furniture) and his college buddy, Chris DeCleur, have launched an artsy weekly paper here in Sandpoint. It's called the Sandpoint Reader. I've seen several editions, and I think it's a class act which will only get stronger as the paper catches on in the community.

The other day I saw Greg Vanderford, smartly dressed in slacks and a polo shirt, waving back at me from inside his folks' books and office products store. His grandparents were longtime Sandpoint educators. Greg recently graduated from the University of Idaho and plans to spend some time helping out at Vanderford's. I have a feeling I’ll see him there for a while.

The Shook twins, Katie and Laurie, (their grandpa was Sandpoint’s first lifeguard) sat in fifth-period honors English during one of my last years of teaching. They’re entertaining audiences with their original songs every Friday night at the award-winning Pend Oreille Winery, which is owned by another former student and her husband, Julie and Steve Meyer.

This generation of 20-30-maybe even 40-somethings is beginning to make its mark, and they're doing it with positive flair. Their conduit with their hometown’s past makes me feel secure that some of our community’s long-held values will live on through their energy and good works.

Yup, seeing them in action makes me feel pretty old but mighty proud.

No comments: