Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Micro Wave's Bye

I can remember years ago when Ron Hunt stood in the Sandpoint High School faculty room touting the virtues of the microwave. Seems the Hunts had just bought their first model. "You won't believe how good the bacon is," he told me.

I can also vividly remember my skepticism that this was just another of those new-fangled fads that would come and go with the wind. With my "yeah sure" attitude, I listened politely to Ron just like I did for years to the small assortment of school computer geeks.

Somehow these self-appointed cyber pipers would make it on to the curriculum-day schedule. Some of us would have to take their class. As we dummies sat hating every minute of looking at those blank screens, they'd tell us just how easy and wonderful the computer was. "You just have to give it a try," they'd say.

I also remember about seven or eight years ago how disgusted my mother always seemed to be when she'd try to call me several times, and my line was busy. Once she'd finally made it through, she'd say, "Were you on that stupid computer again?"

Well, it's funny how times change. I spend countless hours a day on my computer, thinking how easy and wonderful it is to have this access to the world. Ninety percent of my freelance writing is done on and with my computer. I go into a rage if it doesn't work.

My mother's line is often busy in the mornings when I try to call her. And, once I get through to her, I can't resist asking, "Were you on that stupid computer (actually web TV) again? " She chuckles and knows the errors of her earlier disdain and skepticism for why anyone in their right mind would spend that much time with their computer.

And this morning------while working on my computer----when I took my cup of coffee to the microwave for a heat-up, I heard a sputter and then nothing. The microwave has gone bye bye, and the Love house is gonna be desperate 'til it gets fixed.

Yes, Ron, the bacon is good, and so is hot coffee.

1 comment:

Idaho Dad said...

One of my clearest memories from childhood (mid-70's) is when a friend from school invited me over to his house for lunch and his mom heated cheese sandwiches in their microwave. Whoaaaa... I was stunned, and remain so to this day. I still can't figure out how microwaves work.