Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Memories of a friend

I saw in the paper this morning that Dick Whittaker had passed away in Portland with his three daughters at his side. The Whittaker family played a special role in my life.

My association with the them began during my first year of teaching back in 1969-70 when Christy sat in the front row near the door of fifth period English. Sometime during that year, I received an invitation to dinner at the Whittaker house, which, at the time was known to all Sandpoint locals as "the mansion" down in the Moran addition. And, the Moran addition near the old fairgrounds was where anyone who was someone in Sandpoint lived-----except for "Mortgage Hill," that is, aka Syringa Heights.

So, to be invited to "the mansion" was special, indeed. I worried about whether or not my lifelong dinner-table instruction in manners would be sufficient. The scene was elegant, but the instant camaraderie and laughter settled my nerves almost instantly.

They even invited me back time and again for parties and friendly visits. Helen and Dick became good friends. I would eventually teach and coach all three daughters....Christy, Holly and Glory. The latter two participated in drill team. All were talented, smart, and fun.

I also remember a trip to Pocatello with Christy and Sue Hanson (Haynes) for a journalism convention. There's much to tell about the return trip because of no room at any inns all the way back , which, in turn, meant an all-night drive to Sandpoint.

In 1973, I met Bill Love and his crew of college-age Boy Scouts who ran the trading post warehouse at the National Scout Jamboree. Before leaving the scene, I'd promised to get the guys dates, and they held me to the promise. Helen and Dick did their part to see that all went well by opening "the mansion" to Bill and his crew, my drill team girls and me. They even prepared a stack of wood for a beach bonfire, where Bill would pull out his harmonica and charm us all.

The next spring when Bill gave me an engagement ring, we first dined in downtown Sandpoint with Dick and Helen and later went to "the mansion" where a host of Senior Prom goers were enjoying their pre-prom get together. Later at the dance, the Bill Love--Marianne Brown engagement was announced.

Eventually, Dick and Helen separated. I hadn't seen him for years, so this morning's short obituary hit a sad note but also aroused some wonderful memories of a man and his family who played such a meaningful role in my life.

Good bye, Dick, and many condolences to Helen, Christy, Holly, and Glory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this, Marianne. Not being a reader of the bee, I do miss the obits. A few thoughts come to mind. The Whittakers were always generous, its true. They are thought of fondly, and my condolences to the family also.

You must know that as the adult in the road trips we took, (you were just out of college, so only a few years older than the journalism students), you were terrific. I'm sure the Whittakers felt comfortable sending daughter w/ you. I think I slept through your trauma not finding a place to stay for the night. Sorry.
Sue