Thursday, March 03, 2005

Resignation

This morning I read about eight people who resigned from a local board. Yesterday I read a resignation letter. The day before I read another. What's going on?

My friend, Joy O'Donnell, was famous for her suggestion that every February we have the "All Bonner County Rock Fight" out there on the pedestrian bridge. That way everyone who hates everyone else could have a heydey flinging their vengeance and maybe even hitting the mark a time or two.

Sadly, Joy has suffered some debilitating strokes and probably doesn't read the paper anymore. If she did, she'd be calling for a MONSTER ROCK FIGHT this year-----and this has been the most beautiful winter on record. Joy's theory was that the North Idaho winters-----so long, so gray-----just plain did that to people. They were cooped up too long and just got ugly.

I don't know what has caused such acrimony in this area this year, but it's getting disgusting. Makes me want to go up there to that Clark Fork quarry, load up the pickup and disperse boulders in some key places. Most of these unhappy people who trigger this behavior are old enough to know better, and they can't blame the weather.

It's time for the mean season to stop, or nothing's ever gonna get done in this town where we all love to talk about beautiful scenery and beautiful souls. I can say from personal experience that if this kind of ongoing conflict has become a part of the air we breathe in Sandpoint, nobody's ever gonna want to join a board.

Off to the Hair Hut where everybody knows your name and treats you like you're something special.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As usual, you were diplomatic in your observations. Seems esp. sad to me that the same people, over and over, on many different boards, seem to bring the same negativity. Too bad that we all can't contribute to our town's organizations without facing the same few ethically challenged individuals.
I don't agree w/ Joy that its the weather, but I wish I knew a better way to overcome the nastiness. And I wish her well.