Saturday, April 30, 2005

Saturday stuff

A busy day lies ahead, and, with tomorrow, a busy month of May. Is May ever a quiet and peaceful month? I don't remember a year when it was. Combine gardening and yard work with all the special activities that compete with each other during the month and there's hardly time to go to the bathroom. For me, that could be a problem.

This morning, I'll be meeting with some 1965 classmates, nailing down final figures for our 40th reunion registration fee. The reunion is scheduled for the last weekend in July, and we need to be sending another letter to the classmates, letting 'em know how much and when to pay. So, we'll discuss that and then join the coffee cult for the weekend chatter.

After that, I'll head out to Colburn where the Bonner County 4-H horse judging contest is being held this year at my sisters' arena. Hard to figure why it can't be happen at the local fairgrounds, but I've heard by the grapevine that the kids have been priced out of using the facility. Seems strange. I thought kids and their farm projects were the reason they built the fairgrounds in the first place.

My job at the contest is to listen to oral reasons and give each contestant an appropriate score. I do this every year and totally enjoy the little guys who are so nervous they might even forget their first name. Of course, they're not supposed to tell me that during their reasons. They're supposed to name the class, tell their placing and defend why they placed it that way. I've listened to some pretty creative and off-the-wall reasons over the years, so I look forward to today's variety.

When that's over, I'll come home and continue planting the baby trees I picked up from yesterday's Arbor Day activities at Lakeview Park. The Native Plant Society sponsored an educational walk-through for elementary youngsters.

At each station, the kids listened to folks tell them about respective trees and their characteristics. After that, the mayor and my forester husband Bill put on a short presentation, which included a proclamation and a handing over of the Tree City USA flag.

Poems about trees, written by the students, ended the program and then the giveaway began. I picked up some Ponderosa pine, Douglas fir, dogwood, larch, chokecherry and service berry baggies of trees. Most of them went into the ground yesterday afternoon, and I'll finish off the project this afternoon.

Then, it'll be time to start mowing the lawn again. No rest today, but that's okay. It's going to be a beauty, so I'm happy to take it all on.

No comments: