Friday, April 29, 2005

Short timers

My friends, Ann and Edna, are starting the daily countdown at Sandpoint High. That means I'd better get some major projects finished soon. If I don't, there's a liklihood that my relatively quiet life could face more distractions.


Within the next few weeks, several of my teaching colleagues will retire. When they aren't taking off in their RV's for destinations unknown, we'll probably be yakking on the phone or getting together much more often than in the past.


When I retired three years ago, my math colleague Rick Gehring and I went out together. Since then, he's done his thing (I believe he's an Ebay freak), and I've done mine while many of our friends have continued on in the classroom, having very little time for visiting with us "slackers" on the outside.

I knew better than to bug my friends, for, contrary to what most NON-teachers will tell you, we did work more than nine months a year, five days a week, and six hours a day. In fact, in I would say most teachers' entire lives are dominated with their jobs. The words "social life" did not exist in my vocabulary. I seldom went anywhere at night or on weekends.

In my case, the job certainly seemed like 24-7, and that is almost not an exaggeration. When I DID sleep (insomnia ruled the night-time), I was usually up on weekday mornings by 3 a.m. That was the only way I ever kept up with the work. In fact, I never got ahead----until I retired.

So, these friends are going to embark on a whole new life perspective when they leave the classroom behind. It will take them some time to realize that they now have control over their lives. No longer will they endure the constant nagging thoughts of lesson plans, papers to grade and complex human situations that accompany virtually every day in the education world. They can now take time to visit with friends and smell their own flowers.

The retiring class includes Edna Iverson, who's taught science; Ann Gehring, also science; Ray Holt, business; Rik Mikkelsen, math; Bud Lang, forestry and wildlife; George Marker, history and Don Dirks, math. I know there must be more, but I don't know for sure who they are.

This will be the biggest mass departure any of us can remember at Sandpoint High School. For the school, it means that our "old guard" will be all but gone. And, some young'un is gonna replace my buddy, Ray Holt, for having most seniority among the district teaching force.


For those of us out here waiting for them to join us, it may mean a lot more fun with friends.

No comments: