Monday, May 23, 2005

Sunshine on my shoulder makes for a happy Monday

It was an October day nearly 27 years ago. As we left Bonner General Hospital with a tiny blanketed bundle of joy, whom Bill liked to call "Precious," Sandpoint's KSPT Radio was featuring John Denver's "Sunshine." Immediately, while gazing into her very young eyes, I dubbed that lovely piece as Annie's song.

I'm fully aware that Denver produced another song about his wife by the same name, but this one happened to be the first music our precious little girl would ever hear. So, it seemed fitting. Besides, it was a gorgeous, sunny day, and what a day for a young lady to begin her life outside the nursery. Since that day in 1978, every time I hear the song, I think of Annie and of welcome sunshine.

So, on this magnificent Monday morning of sunshine and a cloudless blue sky, I rejoice. Let's say it's definitely an improvement over yesterday. And, of course, after all that rain, I'm happy to embrace sunshine on my shoulder and thoughts of that little girl who is now working as the front-desk supervisor at Seattle's Courtyard Marriott in the Queen Anne District.

Yesterday, Annie called us after attending a Seattle Mariners' game. She does that a lot these days--- attend Mariners' games that is. One time she thought it would be fun to coordinate her call with the very moment that Ichiro stepped up to home plate. Of course, we were impressed.

For our birthdays, Mother's Day, Father's Day, anniversary and any other special occasion this year, Annie has promised Bill and me airline tickets to Seattle and along with another inexpensive stay at the Marriott. So, we'll probably go in June when the Mariners are in town and watch Ichiro step up to the plate ourselves.

And, on the other front this morning---sunshine on the shoulder, that is----I'm anxious to get outside and finish mowing my lawn. Yesterday afternoon, the Craftsman could have used some pontoons while fording through some of the lower lying areas of our lowlands. To say I created a few waves while mowing would be an understatement.

I've also got young maple trees and lilac bushes to plant. Mother has zillions of small starts at her home in Colburn, so I took the shovel and pickup out her way and dug some up. Can't wait to put 'em in the ground.

And, the day is going to be complete late this afternoon when we see Debbie and Willie appear in the driveway, unscathed from their trip. His car is being towed from Cascade to Boise this morning. Apparently, its top and a fender may need replacing, and the car may have water damage inside. If all goes well, he should be able to drive it again by next week.

Lots of reasons for counting our blessings on this sunny Monday.

2 comments:

Lil ol' me... said...

"Hey Jude" is MY favorite song. It is reassuring, celebratory, anthemic and takes me back to simpler times. I'm not much of a John Denver fan, but "Sunshine" is a good song...I think my favorite by him is "Rocky Mountain High". That song seems to really evoke the spirit of the man.

Anonymous said...

Sunshine is a great song, and the memory makes it more special. I've always liked John Denver, and wish he was still here. What would he be writing? Take me home, country roads is a good one, too.
So I'm trying to think of a mother/son dance song at his wedding this summer. I like John Lennon's "Beautiful Boy", but it includes my other son's name, Sean, not Joe. would that still be okay? What did you dance to at Will's wedding?
Happy Birthday Annie.