Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Because it's there . . . .

Bill headed off early this morning; in fact, I think he was out of the house by 6 a.m. Instead of going to work, he drove north on HWY 95 toward Bonners Ferry. Then, he'll turn off to the west and cross the Kootenai Valley before starting up the Trout Creek Road.

I'm sure by now he's been to the Boundary Trading Co. and has picked out a couple of pieces of their deep-fried chicken and a package of cinnamon rolls for his breakfast and lunch. By the way, Boundary Trading Co. does a fine job with chicken. We've had plenty of samples on our many outings to the Bonners Ferry area.

Because the weather's nice and "because it's there," my hubby's climbing to the summit of Parker Peak today. It's in the Selkirks, and, according to his trail guidebook, it's the highest named peak among the rugged rocky chain northwest of here. He told me before leaving this morning that two other taller peaks exist, but they don't have names. Bill doesn't expect to be home until 7:30 this evening, so it must involve some serious uphill walking. Please note that he didn't even suggest that I go.

I asked if there was a geocache up there. Certainly, there must be. I was astonished to learn, however, that none exists. "Because it's there," he said. So, I'll accept that reasoning. Maybe he's secretly taking one there to establish for other geocachers, and maybe I'll hear about that later. That's how Bill is. I usually learn later much of what he's got up his sleeve.

Anyway, it looks like a beautiful day for his ascent. In the meantime, I've got some interviewing to do today. First, I'll call Ed and Edie Holmes. Wouldya believe they're Dr. Dick Neuder's last patients next Monday! Dr. Neuder is retiring after a long successful career as a Sandpoint dentist. I'm hoping he doesn't have to perform a root canal on either of the Holmes. That wouldn't be a good way to end one's career.

I've already interviewed friends, family and co-workers about the doc; today I'll interview the man. He's got so many interests that it's going to be a challenge to pull off this column without leaving something out, but stay tuned. Sometime next week, the fruits of this labor will appear in The River Journal.

So, on this day while Bill's climbing a tall mountain, I'll be fulfilling a tall order to craft my story about an remarkable, much-loved man who's reached a few pinnacles himself.

No comments: