Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Pigeon Yum, Yum --- Operation B-U Updates, when available

If I receive updates from our Bonner County Sheriff's deputies, I'll post them below. Nothing new since yesterday's posting.

On the Kiwi side of things, I visited her twice yesterday at the local vet hospital. The first time she appeared pretty unimpressed with my presence. I could see an improvement but not the Kiwi I knew. Later in the afternoon, about 3 p.m., I was showered with licks, kisses and hugs.

We visited for about ten minutes, and it took me three times, shoving her back into the cage before I could shut the door. Then, came the wailing as I left her. The staff was all smiles and said they'd probably be feeding her real food soon. Thanks for all your prayers and best wishes. It's looking much better for my little canine angel. Update---noon, Tuesday. She's sitting at my feet as I type. When I called this morning, they said she was ready to go. Seems she'd chewed off her IV and was yiping, loudly. They figure that's the sign to send 'em home. I'm so grateful.

In the meantime, I've mentioned Bryant Jones on this blog in the past. He graduated this spring from the University of Vermont. During his senior year, he served as student body president at the university. I had the honor of teaching Bryant for two consecutive years at Sandpoint High School. We became good friends.

That friendship may partially result from the fact that I've known his mom, Judge Debra Heise ever since she first moved to Sandpoint in 1985. At that time, Bryant was just a toddler. Because of that association, I've had the unique privilege of watching and working with this inquisitive, open-minded young man throughout most of his life.

Nowadays, I can't exactly watch him because he's in far-off China, teaching English. Fortunately, however, he's included me on his list of correspondents. So, in harmony with my postings of the past couple of weeks, I'm going to include one of his dispatches (arrived yesterday morning) which may give readers a new appreciation for a lot of what we take for granted and for what we put into our mouths.

Take it away, Bryant:

Ni hao ren ren,

By now you should all know what that means. If not, here's a hint: it's a greeting. Anyway, things are going more smoothly now. I am referring to my digestive system. I think that means that I am finally getting used to the often mysterious foods I am being served everyday. For instance, I almost ate a pigs foot for lunch today. I thought what I was about to eat looked awkward so I asked a colleague who politely smiled and told me, "I think it is called, oh, what do you call it...pig foot." I, as nonchalantly as I could, placed the foot back on my plate.

What I am going to tell you next might make a pig's foot look tasty. All of the English teachers in the school have dinner twice a month at a nearby restaurant. The head English teacher, Hong Ping, remembered me talking about my sister whom has been worried about the, shall I say, non-traditional foods that the people eat in southern China. So, Hong Ping took the liberty to order a most favored Chinese dish, gezi rou, or more commonly know in the English speaking world as pigeon. Dan I hope you are enjoying the cuisine in Hong Kong.

I often refer to these obnoxious bird-like animals as rats with wings and have never thought of them as a delicacy to be eaten. Be ready Mackenzie, Hong Ping is ordering some special ones for when you arrive. I can see the smile on your face. But don't worry, they're actually quite delicious. Did I really just say that? At first, I was very reserved and was trying to figure a way out of this dreadful dilemma.

Then a fellow Chinese English teacher, Hai Tang, eloquently stated, "When in Rome, do as Romans's do." I thought for a moment, then concluded that she was right. I grabbed my kuaizi (chopsticks) and picked up a wing section, being careful to leave the pigeon heads on the plate. From now on I will try to take a more relaxed approach to life in China.
I think the Chinese rival Native Americans when it comes to not wasting animal parts. But the Native Americans used these parts to make more than just food such as weapons, shelter, etc. The Chinese have found a way to create a dish out of every animal part: feet, nose, spine, beak, bones, everything. Mom, I promise you that I will never again complain about dinner. Brusselsporuts and Spanish rice sound really, really good right now.

Classes are in full swing. It is crazy to think that I am expected to control 15 classes of 65 students with which I can barely communicate. I admire all my past teachers for not throwing any students out the window. Or, maybe they just kept those thoughts to themselves? This is a rhetorical question Mrs. Love. Actually, I am enjoying teaching.

There are so many fun experiences. Yesterday, for example, a boy brought a turtle to class. This was not one of those big slow guys that raced the hare in Mother Goose stories. No, this was a small snapping sprinter turtle that would have left Mr. Hare in the dust. Well, boys can be boys and as can be expected, the turtle escaped and began scurrying around the classroom.

We were in the middle of a class dialogue when a girl let out a dreadful scream. I thought, "I don't remember putting a scream in the passage." The classroom became a buzz with commotion as girls screamed standing on chairs and boys laughed hysterically pointing at the girls. I, being the heroic teacher, began crawling around on the grimy floor, underneath desks, making a ruckus and knocking over chairs. Finally, I caught the hard shelled personality and kept the traumatized reptile until after class. Chinese like to eat turtles, but I guess they are afraid of lives ones. Interesting?

Communication is expensive from China, but relatively abundant. Unlike my good friend Jillian spending her time in the vast deserts of Ethiopia, I can call home or send mail at the local post office. However, it makes things much easier when the local postmaster is the husband of the head math teacher.

Today, I wanted to send a gift and map home so Mom can see exactly where I am living. The postmaster was so excited to send a package to America that he gave me 60% off and came to the school to get the contents, pack them, and send them himself. He made a huge fuss, in Chinese, about the opportunity to send a package stateside. Then he said he would send the package the fastest way possible. In China, I am not sure what that means. But I wish the package a safe and pleasant travel and hope that it doesn't end up on a ship destined for Madagascar. Mom, enjoy the present and map.

The news in China is abundant, but not English news. I am far from being able to understand Chinese characters fluently at this point. The only way for me to find out what is happening in the world is to read the Shenzhen Daily, the local English paper. It is the happiest newspapers I have ever read.

When there is a story about China you feel all fuzzy and warm inside. But, regardless of the obvious slant, it is a joy to read everyday. Several days ago, I read an article about homo sapiens being showcased at the London Zoo. While reading the article I sympathized with the humans because I often feel as if I'm at a zoo when walking down the streets of Bao'an, where I live. However, I am not visiting, I often feel like the display. That is something I apparently will have to get used to during my time in China.

Well, that is enough from this side of the world. I hope everyone is well and until next time, take care.

Zaijian,
Bryant
P.S. To anyone affected by the events in Mississippi and Louisiana, my thoughts and prayers are with you, family, and friends. My students keep asking me if America is okay and I tell them we are hanging in there.

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

I sure hope some one saves all of Bryant's emails so he can turn it into a book when he gets back.
I really enjoyed his tale and humor.