Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Update: Operation Backup

For several days, I waited to hear more word from the Bonner County Sheriff's deputies who joined other Idaho law enforcement personnel on a humanitarian mission to the South where Hurricane Katrina wreaked so much misery. As promised, I intended to post their dispatches and photos of Operation-Backup. The group also hauled hundreds of items to the Gulf area donated by local individuals, civic groups and businesses.

When I didn't hear anything for a while, I figured they were either too busy attending to the back-up responsibilities they took on for weary law officers in the area. In the back of my mind, though, I also wondered if they'd encountered some obstacles on their arrival. Unfortunately, according to news reports, the latter turned out to be the case. After a variety of frustrations, the deputies returned to Idaho and their respective communities a few days ago.

According to an email I received from Capt. James Drake yesterday, their story did not turn out all sour. Here's what he wrote:

Marianne,

Well we all made it back safely from Louisiana. I have seen and heard the reports in the media that we were turned away at every turn down south. These reports were not exactly correct. We encountered a couple of bumps in the road, but there was no way we were going to be slowed down. We delivered the donated material, via the Louisiana State Police (an awesome bunch).

And we worked for two days in St. Charles Parish. The area is on the road to recovery. It was a great experience and the people down there were so appreciative that we did this, it is hard to explain. If you want [to] give me a call when you get a chance and I will give you some more details. This endeavor was well worth the effort and I would do it again, this is just my opinion. Talk to you soon.

Jim

I wrote back to Capt. Drake and encouraged him to ask his officers to recount some of the sights and experiences that impressed them during this mission. I also offered to post any photographs he sends me.

In the meantime, I've read some criticism aimed toward this project. Most comments suggest that they should have just sent money rather than taking the time, the vehicles and all the materials to the area. Maybe this could be a point well-taken, considering the bureaucratic confusion that seemed to reign through the first few days after tragedy cut such a wide path through these Southern states.

I look at it differently, however. Though their mission may not have gone exactly as expected, I think our "results-driven" society sometimes forgets an important element which leaves a stronger, more meaningful legacy. The spirit of this endeavor clearly said a lot about our sheriff's department and our community. Almost instantly, once the word was out, the community became galvanized. For three or four days, a steady stream of vehicles rolled into the sheriff's office, loaded with generous hearts and generous quantities of supplies to send to other Americans in need.

The Bonner County Sheriff's Department served as a vital instrument for hundreds of local citizens who wanted to do something tangible, something with a personal, local touch. Yes, sending a check to the Red Cross or to the many other suggested charities may have been a wiser, less complicated choice.

In my mind, however, Operation Back-up put names and faces and a North Idaho flavor to a very special grass roots mission. It reminded us about what's in our hearts, and it gave some dedicated public servants an opportunity to represent this community so far away from the tragedy as ambassadors of good will.

I am very proud to have donated to this cause. I was also proud the night I spent visiting with these folks before they climbed in their vehicles and headed down the road, filled with enthusiasm and a great desire to do their part, not only for the victims of Hurricane Katrina but also for the folks back home who so much wanted to help but could not go themselves.

Operation Back-up may have fizzled in some folks' minds, but as a first-hand recipient of the generosity of my community back in 1984 when our house burned down, I can vouch that this spirit of good will which is such a vital part of our local citizenry is never forgotten. The knowledge and vivid memories of good-hearted people wishing to help in their unique ways last a lot longer than the dollars and cents.

Hats off to our sheriff Elaine Savage and her dedicated, civic-minded deputies. And hats off to all who contributed to this cause.

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

I agree with you 100% Marianne. I think the guys did well. It might not have gone down as well as they thought when they left, the point is the mission was done and done well. People did recieve the things.
The other thing about money... yes, that is nice.
But a lot of people have extra cans of food or other useful items. They may have extra clothes. But sadly in this day, they may not have extra money. And they too want to help.
The guys have every right to be proud.