Monday, October 17, 2005

Monday Recap on fat and sport

I saw an article about fat in today's paper. It said if you weigh often, you more likely to keep your pounds off. I've been doing that for the last three years and have managed to avoid gaining those 40-something pounds I lost after retiring. This past week, however, I haven't been on the scales, so the article served as a good reminder to get back on board and monitor those pounds every day.

With that in mind, I was going to talk about fat today, but it's pretty hard to stay on the subject when there's so much to discuss from the sports world, especially after the past few days. How can I talk about fat when I keep remembering that Annie called us last night from Seahawks stadium just before halftime at the Seattle-Texans match-up? The Seahawks ran over the visitors by several touchdowns.

And, Annie was there to watch, compliments of Marriott Corporation. Apparently, they supply Seahawks tickets in nice seats once each year for their managers and supervisors. So, our daughter joined her colleagues and took it all in, including the tailgate parties before the game. It was kinda neat to hear her call us from the stadium with all the noise in the background. She sounded genuinely excited to be there too.

I'm sure Willie was also watching the game on TV, as was Bill, in hopes of spotting Annie. Willie's a multi-tasker when it comes to sports. I think he gets that from his father. It was a tough night for them last night cuz while the Seahawks were playing for our Annie and several thousand other fans, Bill and Willie had to keep track of the Chicago White Sox, who were doing their best to make it into the World Series for the first time since I was in the seventh grade in 1959.

They made it by beating the Angels 6-3. Though my mother has been a Cubs fan forever, she's also a Chicago native, so I'm sure she's happy this morning. But the person who has to be the happiest of anyone I know is a guy named Gil Bohan. Gil aka Dana Fahrenwald, sat in the same row as Lorraine Davis, Carley Pfeiffer and me in Mrs. Parker's senior English class. And Gil loved his White Sox. We'd hear about them most every day.

Last I heard, Gil lived in Tacoma. He's kind of an off-the-wall character, but I'm guessing this morning that he could be considered more "out of the park" in his sheer ecstasy toward last night's game which gave the White Sox their ticket to the Series. My husband Bill will be equally excited if his Houston Astros make it to the Series. Actually, we all will since we've attended a couple of Astros games over the years as a family.

It was definitely a big sports weekend all around. I know that from reading the paper and from listening to my family members. When I talked with Willie Saturday night, he had just finished watching the Notre Dame-USC game, which is now being referred to in "epic" proportions because of the last-minute drama when Notre Dame fans ran on to the field, thinking the Irish luck had won another for the Gipper and everyone else who's ever loved that football team.

As fate would have it, though, the replay showed that the USC player had been knocked out of bounds on the 2, thus adding 7 seconds to the clock which had run out. Then, USC's Heisman-winning quarterback pretended he was going to down the ball but ran it in for the winning score. At least, that's pretty much how it was reported to me by my sports reporter son.

And, speaking of his reporting skills, I've got one more reason not to talk about fat this morning. He also reported to me Thursday afternoon that he'd won a third-place award among Washington weeklies for his sports column in the Newport/Gem State Miner newspaper.

When I talked to him later, he told me that recognition came from his early columns when he was just getting started. He's been working hard in the past few months to hone his writing and develop his voice, so who knows what may happen next year.

Yup, in this morning's post, I've definitely skipped the fat and have weighed in on an exciting sports world, which should remain fairly intense for the next week or so. In fact, it looks like I'll be joining Bill, Willie and Gil and watch more ESPN than usual as the Series heats up. Which means that even I could easily turn into a part-time sports couch potato, so those bathroom scales had better go back into action.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fred and I are USC football fans and go to all the home games. This is my third season and Fred's 50-something.
I was able to skip going to the gym on Saturday due to all the exercise I got jumping off the sofa and bouncing around my living room while watching the USC Notre Dame game. As soon as the game was over I jogged to the corner drug store to get more of my blood pressure medicine!
Don't worry about the fat and the scales, just get addicted to an exciting sport and a great team!