Sunday, May 21, 2006

Painful moment


I was watching TV the day the undefeated Thoroughbred named Ruffian broke her leg in the big match race. According to this morning's paper, that was 31 years ago. I still can feel the emotions of that day seeing the beautiful mare loaded up in the equine ambulance and learning soon after that she had been euthanized.


Like most horse lovers, I feel a great heaviness in my heart this morning for the tragic sight we witnessed on the Preakness yesterday. It's been hard for me not to think almost constantly of the horror of hearing that the magnificent Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro had pulled up early in the race, shortly after he had broken through the starting gate early.

The announcers said that didn't bode well, but when the jockey and handlers calmly brought him back and led him into the gate again. I figured the announcers were accentuating the situation a bit. He looked just fine, and I felt confident that this horse, who won the Kentucky Derby so handily and who reportedly lives a happy, laid-back life in his home pasture, would rise to the occasion and set in motion the potential of a long-awaited Triple Crown winner.

That was not to be. The great Barbaro will never race again, and this morning, I'm sure all horse lovers who watched yesterday's Preakness tragedy are waiting anxiously to hear if he'll win the challenge of walking again. At first, the veterinarian said the multi-fractures in Barbaro's right hind ankle were not life-threatening. Then, he mentioned something called blood flow. Then, he said Barbaro's fans should pray.

It might sound a bit melodramatic for me to write in these terms about a horse I never heard of until three weeks ago, but anything tragic associated with horseflesh affects me and millions of others exactly the same way. We feel a lifelong kinship to horses, and when they're hurt or sick, it's emotionally devastating. I guess it's something ingrained in us when we've spent our entire lives loving, admiring and caring for horses.

I won't forget yesterday's Preakness. I sat on the couch at Colburn with my niece Laura and my mother, watching the rest of the race after Barbaro's accident and not really caring who won. I will grant, however, that the winner Bernardini is a gorgeous animal. Later, when they showed the footage of the horrific agony Barbaro was enduring, I could not look at anyone else. My eyes were too filled with tears, and I'm sure mine were not alone in that room.

As the commentators, tried to make the best of it, I continued to stare straight ahead. Then, I heard someone else enter the room. I turned that way and saw tears streaming down Laurie's face and sober expression on Barbara's. They had just returned from a Sport Horse Show in Spokane where Laurie had competed on Rusty. Having left Rusty in Spokane for today's events, they'd simply parked their new trailer outside their house and had run in to watch the race.

It's hard to explain to folks who just view horses as "hay burners" or "dumb nags" why these emotions run so deep. They just do. I guess it might have a lot to do with the love, care and time invested in these animals who are just like kids or good friends to us. We know how much we love our own horses, and we know those passions run just as deeply in other true horsemen and horsewomen. So, we all take a bit of ownership of their triumphs and tragedies.

They say that these days the doctors can work magic with horses' leg injuries compared to when Ruffian had to be put down. I pray that we hear good news after Barbaro's surgery and that he'll be able to return to his carefree life in that pasture as another unforgettable champion in horse racing history.

Note: I belong to an equine journalists' newsgroup. The writers come from all over the world. The note below was posted just before 9 this morning. I thought readers who watched the Preakness may find it interesting.

Just to give you all a little update today.

First I have to mention, I work as an ex. rider/asst trainer at Del. Park.
Many of you know that one of barn's charges is Scrappy T, famous for last
years Preakness. And additionally starting June 1, 2006 I will begin my new
job, doing much the same thing, for Michael Matz.

Ok so credibility listed.. here's the news..

First, Michael is doing very well. I spoke to his Del Park string asst. tr,
and a few riders from Fair Hill that were at Del later this am. He was up
and on the track at FH and most report that he was doing a whole lot better
than most would be faring in his shoes. He is trying to think positively and
move forward.

Second, Barbaro himself had a good night at New Bolton according to the Matz
barn. He actually laid down and got up under his own power without further
damaging himself. Additionally he ate up his food and seems in general to be
using his famous laidback attitude for the good.

All signs are positive.

Now to remark on the ability to repair the ankle fractures, All of us on the
track, espcially those associated with this horse, believe in doing
everything possible to save a horse like this. But I have to say if the
surgeons at New Bolton didn't think they could fix it, they would say so.
Because keeping a horse alive to do a surgery that has less than a 2% chance
of success would be akin to letting him suffer.

I know what Bramlage said, and I understand the dynamics of the fractures he
detailed, but at some point don't you think we, as non-surgeons, should
maybe let the actual surgeons decide what is possible and what isn't?

Lets try to keep a positive attitude and send our best wishes that way, not
our worst fears.

~Emily

3 comments:

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

How absolutely devastating! I feel the same way you do, as do millions of people. If someone isn't affected by something like that, there is something terribly wrong with them. Being an animal lover, I couldn't watch, I turned away. I feel the same about all animals; I suffer when they suffer. A sad day....

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your feelings...I missed the Preakness yesterday, but when I read the news, I immediately thought of you and how this would tear you apart. I never owned a horse but when we lived in Grand Lake, a neighbor brought his over to graze in our pasture. I used to spend hours outside with her - just brushing her golden mane and tail -

Word Tosser said...

I had company so missed the race. To be honest, I am glad I did.
I did see Ruffian, and tore mine and my mother's heart out. My mother just about went bullistic two days later when she heard that one of the other trainers remarked something to the point of..."what did they expect, you can't race a mare, the _itch broke." My mother couldn't talk about it for days without tears and anger at the other trainer.
Anybody, who has had a horse wrap his neck around you and hug you..will never forget it. And if you weren't in love before..you surely will be then.
Yes, I am glad I didn't watch.. for I too, would have been bawling too.