Sunday, July 09, 2006

Re-entry


I know that Ken Lay died this week. Upon hearing the news when Bill came home one morning, I thought for a millisecond about all the Enron employees. Were they jumping for joy or even more angry that he never really suffered for his alleged sins? As that thought flew past, it went off to a sink hole somewhere in my brain, probably to the same place where the intent to look over my nephew's writing went.

Scott had sent me a link to a couple of samples of his writing and asked for comments. I promised to get back to him by the next day at the latest. That was three or four days ago. When I had a note from Scott in this morning's mail, I knew I'd erred. He received another promise this morning, that I would, indeed, look over his writings on fishing and hunting in Montana and comment.

I may be able to keep that promise as there seems to be a small window opening on the world outside our move to Selle. To say I've been out of the loop this past several days is an understatement. I know that yesterday was the Spots of Fun Appaloosa open horse show, which I was supposed to announce. And, there was the pancake breakfast for the wooden boat show, where it would have been nice if I'd gone and flipped a few hotcakes.

Instead, I'll flip some this morning---of the huckleberry kind---when Laura, Sefo and the crowd of triplets make their way to the house from their tent. We worked for about ten hours yesterday, cleaning and moving more stuff from Sandpoint to Selle. It looks like one more load from the old house will do it this morning. I'll clean those areas today, and Mike Rosenberger will steam clean the carpets in the morning.

The Satellite dish network folks are coming tomorrow to hook up the TVs, and my escape from all things important in the region, nation and world will come to an end. Of course, I'll get back in the habit of flipping on the tube and catching the evening news. Our extent of TV watching this week has included one day of repetitive Napoleon Dynamite and another of an animated Super Man. Nobody watched them much; instead, someone flipped them on and never had time to hit the off button. So, they played over and over. I think that Napoleon theme song is gonna play in my head forever now.

Re-entering the world out there will be fun, but it's not gonna hold a candle to the week we've experienced with family and friends---lots of good eats, many laughs and lots of good work as we've left one life behind and begun another. I have great images of this first few days at Selle and the last spent in Sandpoint:

  • Willie coming around the corner in the old kitchen and surprising me. I had felt sad that he couldn't participate in this big change with the rest of the family, but Annie and Laura saw to it that my sadness was short-lived by secretly luring Willie northward and retrieving him at Spokane Airport. Seeing him made this transition so beautifully complete.
  • Da Bear, walking up to the back step a few days ago
  • Guard horse seeing the doe and her twin fawns
  • Groups of family and friends taking the ATV for a spin around the beautiful pastures
  • Billie Jean and her hubby Mark plodding down the lane to the pastures on their cute Arabian trail horses
  • Sefo sitting and monitoring the barbecue action with an expression of total bliss
  • Bill with his binoculars out in the field checking out which one of those Cabinets was Lunch Peak where the Rev. Dr. Nancy and her husband Gary are staying this week.
  • Triplets splashing in the pool; Annie Dog splashing in the pool. Kiwi bounding through deep grass with her ever-present Folgers sheep.

So much good stuff, so little time to write it all. Maybe re-entry will give me that time. For now, it's off to the kitchen to flip those huckleberry hotcakes. Happy Sunday from Selle.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you happen to be there when your carpets are cleaned, please tell the Rosenbergers hello from Linda! My parents see them as often as the carpets get cleaned, and without children or grandchildren around anymore...well, it's not very often!
I'm glad I found this link to your blog on the sandpointhigh.com site. I'll try to stay updated. Can't wait to check out your newest book!

MLove said...

Hi, Linda,

I still have that wall hanging you gave me, and when I find which box it's in, I'll put it on the wall again. Good to hear from you, and welcome aboard slightdetour.

Marianne

Anonymous said...

Hiya Sister Bulldog, Happy to hear the move went well and that it is behind you! Your blog today about fences reminded me of a fun photo I have when I first moved back to rural Wyoming and my L.A. cocker spaniel met a mule on the other side of the fence for the first time. They were both very curious & it did not take us long to realize that some mules would like to stomp on a little city dog. That was one Very Long fence that required chicken wire along the bottom!
I hope you will be posting some photos of your new place soon! I can't wait to catch a glimpse!
I wish you many happy years at your new home in Selle!
Hugs!