Saturday, July 08, 2006

Saturday in Selle


The fastest week ever has ended, and we're spending our second Saturday in Selle. Bill spent his first night in the house last night. He's been staying at the Great Northern residence to see that no other movers decide to transport our stuff. Sefo and Laura will help us again this weekend as we prepare for my buddy Mike, the steam cleaner, and his able assistant Ann to top off the house. Then, we'll lock it up for good and concentrate on stuff like shrubs, wood, and machinery.

Good ol' Dan Smith from Evergreen towing will take the plow, brush hog, hay elevator, and antique manure spreader planter, among other things. I'll also find some way to load up the hundred-plus year old wagon wheels which greeted everyone who rolled into the driveway for thirty years. They moved to that place after a short stint at the Upper Tibbs Place where we lived for three years. I've written a story for my new book chronicling just how I obtained them, thanks to the efforts of some enterprising Ponderettes.

Gotta have those wagon wheels to remind me of the great stories that go along with the past and the old neighborhood. When I see them, I think of my first grade teacher, Mabel Kinney who died many, many years ago and who may be frowning from her eternal rest about that Marianne Brown and her no-good ways.

I also see the faces of Sue Self, Jacquie Turner, Mari Chambers and Jerry Colin. All women are now responsible adults and parents, but every glance at those wagon wheels keeps them eternally youthful in my mind. So, we'll figure out a way to get them here and a place to set them where I can perpetuate those visions of young women who delighted me so as teenagers and continue to do so as adults.

I must comment on the transition of the Love family menagerie. It has exceeded my wildest expectations. Someone must have had a talk with Rambo and Casey, giving them a clue that they, too, were moving on to a better life. Their behavior was impeccable, from loading to unloading, to being led out to a new pasture. They stayed a while in their new barn while I tied white flagging to the fence around the pasture in front of the barn. We had also pulled the wire up higher on the posts, since the pastures are designed for goats who really don't need fences higher than three feet.

Casey and Rambo spent most of the day grazing in grass two feet deep. Rambo continued to eat while Casey cased out the surroundings. At one point in the afternoon, while I was mowing the lawn, I noticed Casey (our guard horse) staring intently at the woods. I turned around in time to see a mother whitetail with her twin fawns bounding off toward the west through the trees.

The boys spent a quiet night in their box stalls with their automatic water tanks. I did notice this morning, however, that the floors in both stalls need some work because of holes. So, that will be on the agenda today among dozens of other activities.

The sun did go down over the slopes of Schweitzer last night, and when it did, all five cats, two dogs, two horses and one husband were enjoying the new home.

Mission: nearly complete and great possibilities lie ahead at our new home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mariane, your animals know they are loved and trust you and bill and that made the move ok.

rmt

Anonymous said...

Welcome to your new home, Love Family.

I'm really looking forward to visiting over Labor Day!

Love,
Margaret