Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I splurged yesterday. After looking at an ad, however, I've learned the splurge was a pretty good one. Among the carts available at the Idaho Draft Horse International Sale yesterday was an Amish Meadowbrook cart for one horse. I zeroed right in on the beautiful piece of craftsmanship and kept coming back to it while strolling through the array of doctor's buggies, wagons and carts.

Two years ago I almost bought a cart at the sale. It sold near the end, so I waited. When the cart rolled through, I discovered it was for ponies, not horses. That's how much I knew about carts that day. Yesterday, with Kiwi legally in tow----at the fairgrounds, no less----I asked lots of questions. I also talked to my neighbor and classmate, Gary Finney about helping me get the operation going if I bought a cart to go with Casey and his harness.

Gary agreed and said that Amish cart would be nice. I saw him looking it over before it came through the door. Roger Brown and his wife sat behind me as the carts rolled through. They provided commentary on what would be good, what would be not. This one looked too heavy. That one's shafts might be a little wide or a little narrow. I felt comfortable, knowing I'd done a little more research this time.

I also felt nervous, though, because it seemed like every cart I liked seemed to be popular with everyone else, especially the bidders. Some were going for more than $2,000, while some surprisingly sold for less than $500. I think my friend Mimi Feuling bought a cart because she was there one minute, gone the next. She has a pair of Haflingers at her new farm in Bonners Ferry.

The Amish cart, like the pony cart of two years ago, was near the end of the auction offerings. I just knew that everyone else would bid on it too. Then, one more draft horse sale would be history and I'd be going home empty-handed, except for that old red milk can I'd bid on for yard art. It cost me $22.50, and it will look nice somewhere around our house.

The time came. The Amish cart rolled forward. Bidding started slowly. I let someone else start it at $500, I believe. I bid $600. I decided to go as high as $1,500; after all it was three times the cart, I'd talked about having made two years ago for $600-$700 after the draft horse sale snafu.

Suddenly, we were up to $1,000, but it was obvious I had only one more competitor as action slowed. $1,100, then $1,200. I bid $1,250. There was a lull. They bid $1,300. I bid $1,350, knowing I was going to lose this one for sure. The next lull lasted long enough for the auctioneer to point my direction: SOLD. I couldn't believe it.

Gary was waiting for me at the north door.

"You'd pay twice that price at most sales," he said.

I asked if we could get the cart in our pickup. He said we could but he could also get it on his truck and haul it home for me. I took him up on the offer and went to the office to pay for the cart and milk can. I learned on the way back that Mother had to go to the emergency room because of a reaction to her new meds. So, I ran off. Gary delivered the cart.

Mother was fine after they figured out what was going on, so after an afternoon and evening at the ER, I took her home and then thought twice about my big purchase. Upon checking out prices for Meadowbrook Amish carts, I learned that I got a good deal at yesterday's auction, along with an exquisitely crafted oak cart to go behind my horse.

Now, if we can get the cart and horse in concert, we'll be having a good time. Maybe I can take my mother for a ride down South Center Valley Road one of these fall days.

Thank you, Gary!

No comments: