Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Doting


I went to the barn at 10 p.m. last night to check on Lily. In fact, I spent half an hour out there and even took her for a walk down the lane. When I left the barn at 8 (about three hours after her arrival), she had not left any horse apple deposits in her stall. That's always cause for concern with horses, but then again, I reasoned that a lot has happened in Lily's life since she left Oklahoma on Friday.


When I went to check on her at 10, still no apples. I visited with her and the other horses for a while and then decided to let her roam the barn alley way. Within five feet of her stall door, she left a large pile of certified green horse apples. I breathed a sigh of relief while watching her sniff around and, within seconds, find the container where the grain is stored. Later, I put on her halter and took her down the aisle to meet Casey, who's in the far stall. After all, Casey is the resident guard horse, and he needs to know that Miss Lily is now part of the family.

The snow outside had frozen, but I walked the young lady slowly down the lane. She was all eyes but no craziness. She walked calmly beside me the whole way and seemed less concerned about the ice than I. I've learned quickly that Lily learned from a young age to pivot on her hind legs when she turns. She's been shown at halter since she was a baby, and she learned her lessons well.

After our "let's get better acquainted" walk, we re-entered the barn. She again pointed that nose right toward the grain container. So, once Lily was back in her stall, everybody got a treat. I'd better not do this too often because horses are creatures of habit, and we don't need to get in the habit of midnight snacks. Last night was special, though, just as the day was while anticipating her arrival.

At dusk, Gary and Cindy turned onto Center Valley Road. I teared up, thinking about the magnitude of this crazy horsey whim of mine. Earlier while waiting, I stood along the road, looked into the sky toward Pack River Cemetery, and said, "Harold, this is for you. I hope you approve." One of several motives for Miss Lily's addition to our family has to do with my dad, who's famous for his Appaloosa association back in the 1940s and '50s.

When Lily stepped out of the trailer, even in the darkness, I could see her name was appropriate. She's a sweet thing, very refined, tall, elegant and endowed with an ample Quarter Horse derriere. Her reddish coloring is vivid, to say the least---much more dramatic in person than in the pictures. She walked through the driveway beside Cindy like it was an everyday occurrence. When she arrived at the barn, my two boys got excited but not out of hand. It was the calmest transition I could ever imagine.

My sisters and mother came later, and while Gary and Cindy visited with Bill in the house over pizza, Laurie removed the horse blanket with the care of unwrapping a present. I could sense instant approval, although my sisters are often reserved with showering too much praise.

"Are you going to show her at halter, Marianne?" Laurie asked.

"Well, she'll probably be shown at halter, but you can do it," I responded. Laurie suggested that I ought to get back to doing such things. Barbara's immediate reaction was that she's a hunter. Laurie whispered to Barbara, "I think we're going to have to give Marianne's hunt saddle back to her."

I heard that comment and insisted that an English rider I'm not. People have laughed at my ineptitude in the few English classes I've ever ridden.

"You can learn," Laurie said. That interchange was all that I needed to sense that my sisters highly approve. Of course, the judges in them noted pasterns which could have a better angle, but John the horse shoer could work with that, they said. Mother said Lily reminded her of our Fancy Pants Appaloosa stallion from back in the '50s. My neighbor and classmate, Gary Finney stopped by to inspect. He thought she looked pretty good. Bill says she's a keeper.

I know that he's sincere because when I first arose this morning, I looked out the window and saw Bill headed for the barn. Bill doesn't go to the barn to visit horses at 5 a.m. He came back with a good report that they're all doing just fine.

Lily has left more apple piles overnight and has consumed a full bucket of water. She has picked up a cough, however, which will be attended to whenever Cherise can come today. Other than that:

One pretty Appaloosa filly from Lawton, Oklahoma, named Lily
One good lookin' horse blanket to keep her warm
One wonderful set of horse haulers named Gary and Cindy Thoreson
Two smitten geldings named Rambo and Casey
Profuse piles of horse apples
One family of Loves and Tibbses immediately enamored with the new addition to the barn.
Memories of a dad and a true horseman who loved his Appaloosas

Priceless!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good,great,wonderfull!!
rmt

Word Tosser said...

I am sooooooo happy for you. On all bases... but the true grit of it wasn't the human's reaction... it was the boys.. Rambo and Casey knew right off she is a class act.
I think your sisters are right. Get back in the saddle gal... You show...local... I will come watch.
Congratualtions on your new baby girl...

I can't wait for Annie's Christmas pictures....

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Very beautifully written. Your gentleness comes shining through.