Thursday, December 14, 2006

Some cookin' and some Viggo

Now, I might get in big trouble for this, but I'm gonna give you some inside scoop. I'm prepared to have Bonner County museum curator Ann Ferguson chew on me a bit if I've got anything wrong or if I've spilled the beans. Now, that sounds petty culinary so far, doesn't it?

Well, a part of what I'm going to tell you does have to do with cooking. Pay attention to these details: Friday (that's tomorrow), Dec. 15 (that's tomorrow too) , 3-7 p.m. (that the afternoon/ early evening hours), Bonner County Museum (that's in Lakeview Park in Sandpoint. It's the place that looks like the Pizza Hut). Be there or be square.

During that time, you can meet a bunch of authors, a painter and a sign maker. I think a publisher may even show up too. Ann Ferguson calls it an Author Signing/Museum Open House. She and her volunteers have been decorating up a storm this week. I saw some of the swags; they're beautiful, and they smell like the great outdoors from whence they came.

There's been stuff about this event in the papers, and I've told you some details about the event earlier. Since that time, though, I know of a few developments. The Community Assistance League (CAL) will be offering their cookbook with tons of recipes and lots of neat historical pictures of Bonner County. I've been told that my neighbor Helen Baker, who's the president of CAL, will be there signing the cookbooks.

I also learned earlier this week that Susan Daffron, who writes "Pet Tails" in the local paper, will be there with three of her books. Haven't heard what they're about, but I think they have something to do with computer stuff cuz I've heard she's an expert on a lot of computer "how to's."

So far, I haven't written anything in this post that's gonna get me in trouble, but I'm sensing bad times ahead as I mention a word that some people will just look at you, puzzled and wondering if you're talking about some kind of cough medicine, while others will go nutso and almost lie down and lick your feet cuz you've had encountered the word firsthand: Viggo.

Viggo's books will be available at the museum open house. Please read this: Viggo will NOT be there, but his books will be available for sale AND Viggo will sign them, after the fact, personally to whoever purchases them. I don't know how Ann is going to organize this. We had talked about a silent auction, but it's possible they'll go for face value. All I know is what I read in my emails, but I also know that Lord of the Rings King Viggo Mortensen was very generous to do this.

Again, all profits from tomorrow's author signing go toward the museum's needs, and believe me, the museum has many needs because it operates on a shoestring and through the generosity of its many volunteers who give so much of their time to keep it going.

Besides what has been mentioned above, you'll have a chance to purchase books covering at least a dozen different subjects written or illustrated by Bob Hamilton, Ben Olson, Mark Story, Paul Rechnitzer, Virginia Overland, Nancy Renk, Sandy Compton, Becky Kemery, Linda Hackbarth, Winston Cook, Dolora Cook Deal, Bonnie Shields, and yours truly, Marianne Love. Mapmaker Sylvie White will be there with her map of Lake Pend Oreille.

I think it's going to be a fun event. I know there will be food and beverage provided by the museum board of directors and the army of volunteers. And, I know Ann will be thrilled to have all visitors enjoy a self-guided walking tour of museum exhibits.

So, I encourage readers in the area to show up, meet the authors, buy some books and help boost the museum coffers. By the way, you can also sign up as a member of the Bonner County Historical Society. All your efforts will make a wonderful gift as our county celebrates its hundredth birthday next year.

And, to think you can even purchase your very own taste of cough syrup----oops, I mean a touch of Viggo through his artistic talents. Pass the word! See you there!

No comments: