Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Never told stories

THE BEST HORSE STORIES NEVER TOLD: The popular Cup of Comfort book series is now seeking inspiring true stories for publication in A Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers. Celebrating the powerful, almost magical, bond between horses and humans, this anthology will feature 50 personal essays that reveal the extraordinary impact that these magnificent creatures have on the people who ride, own, raise, train, race, study, care for, rescue, or simply love them. We want stories that portray horses (or ponies) as companions, helpers, messengers, healers, teachers, heroes, and inspirational forces in people’s lives as well as stories about the incredible things that people do out of love for a horse or horses. Stories must be uplifting and 1000-2000 words. Preference given to narrative nonfiction stories that read like fiction. $500 grand prize; $100 ea. all other stories published, plus copy of book. No entry fee. Submission Deadline: 5/15/07. For guidelines:

(www.cupofcomfort.com) (click on Share Your Story).


I ran across the announcement above on my equine journalists' newsgroup postings today. Besides passing it along to anyone who has a horse story forever sitting on hold but now ready to be told, I got to thinking about the broad subject of stories never told. Then, I got to thinking about stories I've never told. Then, I really got to thinking: which stories haven't I told? That's gonna keep me thinking all day long.

Seems like that could be a whole new book. I just have to think of what there is left to tell because most folks will tell you I spend a lot of time telling. I've never really thought about not telling. Well, yes I have. Some folks can even pinpoint some stories I haven't told. Well, I've told 'em but not for public consumption.

We have lots of reasons for not telling stories. One is we forget. I often find myself having entire telephone conversations with folks, hanging up and then realizing I didn't tell them what I called to tell them. Then, I have to decide if I really want to dial that number again and bother them after having already talked to them for an hour. Sometimes I just leave the story untold. I think this is an age-related reason for not telling a story, just as much as telling stories over and over and over seems to be a bit age-related.

There are other reasons we have those never-told stories. We value our lives. We know that if we told the story, even without all the juicy details, someone may come and beat us up. I got this threat a lot when I was 0-18. "Don't you dare tell Mother!" was the common reminder. Sometimes I heard it every day while said story was still on the family burner.

"I'm telling!" I'd scream.

"I'll beat you up," said enforcer would immediately retort. Well, okay, I didn't tell. I saved myself a lot of physical abuse during those formative years by surprisingly keeping my mouth shut and leaving some zingers untold. Some of these stories had to do with report cards, pilfered food, vehicle activity, cigarette smoking before the age of reason, or even bovine rodeo action. This gives me an idea.

I think I'd like to follow suit from those folks up above and make a mint off from my own series of books that other people write and I put the title on the cover. So, I'm gonna call on all frustrated authors to have their first opportunity for fame between the covers of a book. Since it's taken me so long to figure out this wonderful get-rich-quick scheme, I'm gonna multi-task and get several books going at once. We'll call this the "Love Stories Never Told Series."

Since I don't want to do a lot of work, I'll allow 500 words max. Deadline, since I wanta get rich really fast, is this Saturday. I haven't found a publisher yet, so you might have to rely on the blog for the first printing of all these gems. If they get enough good comments, we'll move on to the next leg and actually get them on paper and between a cover.

So, here we go: I'm looking for the best stories you've never told on the following subjects:

Best Never Told Smoking Stories
Best Never Told Church Stories
Best Never Told Food Stories
Best Never Told Watching TV Stories
Best Never Told Report Card Stories
Best Never Told Lying Stories---now tell the truth

And, at this very moment, I could add another category: Best Never Told Cat Spits Up a Hairball in the Corner story.

I think this idea has potential. So, don't tell anyone, okay??? Just send in your submission--even in the hairball category--- to the comments column between now and Saturday.

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

What?? Here it is Friday and none of you commenters have a story? I am surprised...
I had too many stories, so didn't want to clutter here, so put Marianne's challenge on my blog with answers... but the rest of you...ah.. I get it.. you too, have too many stories to fill up the comment section here. Sure hope you filled up her emails with them.