Friday, May 04, 2007

Mutterings


My brain is turning to mush, and it will probably stay that way for the next couple of weeks. So, bear with me if not a lot of sense appears in the postings on some days or if I'm a space cadet when you meet me on the street. Lots going on, and much more to come.


I've now signed about 50 books, some for Keokee staff and several for those who pre-ordered. The book was supposed to be in Sandpoint yesterday, but a glitch kept all the boxes at the freight headquarters in Spokane. So, after Joyce, my hairdresser, did what she could for me, I went on a mission to retrieve a few boxes----with hopes that we could keep all plans for distribution on schedule.

Though it was hard, I traveled for 80 miles from Spokane to Sandpoint with 17 book boxes in my car and did not open a one. I felt it was important that we all experience that first look together at the Keokee headquarters. We did. Everyone took credit for individual contributions as they looked over their copies. Chris Bessler, by the way, took the cover brick photo, but he wouldn't tell which historic Sandpoint building he used.

Within seconds, Laura White, one of the designers, gave me a pen and handed me her book to sign. As the staff stood commenting in a circle at the front office, I signed and signed and signed. I doubt any of those initial autographs made much sense cuz I was feeling a bit numb with the finality of this long-awaited project. Now, the work really begins. As Chris said, we have books to sell.

After leaving Keokee, I went to Connie's Restaurant, figuring I'd kill two birds with one stone---my promised visit during this first week of reopening and to find a hidden booth where I could sit back and quietly absorb my finished product. Well, I accomplished one goal but not the other. The new owners came over to visit. Other staff came to visit.

Then, knowing I wasn't gonna get any quiet work accomplished and while waiting for my take-out order, I decided to invite Colin---who wrote my "Foreward" and with whom I first talked of this project about five years ago---to come over to see the book. He lives just a block or so from Connie's. So, he promised to pedal over on his bike.

By the time Colin walked in, another lady came by and introduced herself. I was doing my best to carry on two conversations at once, but I've never been a good multi-tasker. Colin seemed very much amused with my awkward attempts to spit out anything intelligent----to him or the lady. Eventually, the take-out sandwiches came, so I took that event as a good cue for bringing the confusing conversations to a close.

Connie's, with its brighter decor, did not skip a beat in resuming its fine role as Sandpoint's meeting place. I may have skipped a few beats in my attempt to have a quiet moment, but, as usual, the hectic scene there last night created one more memorable event to savor as Lessons with Love makes its entry into the world outside my mind and my home. It's gonna be crazy, but I think it's gonna be fun.

The books will be in local bookstores Monday, I'm told. And, the prevailing assessment so far is that this one sure is a lot fatter than the first two. I don't know whether that's good or if that's bad, but I do know that I'm happy to be at this point and especially thrilled with the Keokee staff who did a wonderful job producing the book.

Thanks, Keokee. Now I've gotta go bake the staff some cookies. Happy Friday to all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Marianne!

What great, glorious good news to have Lessons with Love out into the big wide world. I'll place my order today.

Cheers!
Margaret