Thursday, May 03, 2007

U can help with Melissa's African project

Melissa Wilson Nodzu is a Sandpoint High School graduate. If my mind is working correctly this morning, I'd say she graduated from SHS in 1990. Melissa was a class leader and an outstanding student. As her teacher and admirer, I always felt that she was loaded with potential---beyond even what we saw as she passed through high school.

I think she has been rising to that potential ever since leaving Sandpoint and moving to Boise where she has pursued fine arts, including photography. I know she was working on her Master's in Fine Arts but am not sure if she's earned it yet.

Melissa's family was well-established in Sandpoint. Her grandmother Eleanor Wilson had to have earned sainthood for all the time she devoted to St. Joseph's Catholic Church. Melissa's dad Mike started out first grade at Lincoln School with my brother Kevin, and I believe one of her uncles went to school with my older brother Mike. I taught some of her younger uncles in school and always marveled when her Aunt Terry would come back to Sandpoint to add her beautiful voice to the church choir during holiday Masses.

Melissa's definitely a Sandpoint girl who has made a life of her own in Boise with her husband and son. I view this dynamic young lady as a lifelong learner, dedicated to the betterment of mankind, with a sense of adventure thrown in for enhancement.

I received a letter from her yesterday about an upcoming trip to Africa. She needs a little financial support for the project she's planning to do there. After reading her letter below, if you feel so inclined, I'm sure Melissa will appreciate your donation. If not, just appreciate her story as another wonderful example of a kid reared and educated in our community who's using her talents to create a better world.

Read on . . . .

Some of you know already that I will be traveling to South Africa with the Small Village Foundation May 30-June 15. The Small Village Foundation is a non-profit organization here in Boise that believes in sustainable living and brings aid to village communities in the form of education, health, and water.

Our mission team consists of 9 young adults between the ages of 15-20; and 6 adult chaperones. Each student for the past year has been working on a project they want to implement in the communities we will be visiting. Some of our projects include aiding in the installation of playpumps, building a vegetable tunnel, playground, bringing first aid kits and DVD videos for children in the hospital, blackboards, art supplies, empowerment workshops and so forth. (Each student has raised donations, etc. for their projects)

If you are interested in learning about what a playpump is go to (www.playpump.org) . If you are interested in learning about some of the projects the Small Village Foundation has done in the past go to (http://www.smallvillagefoundation.org/) - I'll admit the website needs some work but once I get back I'll have some photos and info to give to the Web Designer!

This is a plea to all my friends and family. My original main objective was to go and document the experience and participate in the implementation of the projects for SVF so that we can create a DVD to share with people in the community and around the world.

I found out that we had yet to plan a project with one of the places we'll be staying which is Yeoville Boarding School. These are students ages 14-18 I believe and they are orphaned kids who have been given this wonderful opportunity to be educated.

With no project plan the wheels in my head started churning. I originally thought of creating a mosaic project with the Yeoville students & our students - then realized it might just be a little TOO big. So now, together with Allison, one of our students traveling to South Africa and who is studying art at UPS in Tacoma is collaborating with me to create a mural project for us all to work together on. The theme is based around "peace" and how "peace" is interpreted by the senses (what does it feel like, look like, taste like, etc).

I have more than enough canvas for this project - what I need is supplies. We are still working out the application part - whether we'll paint with acrylics or draw with permanent markers. So what I am asking for is a donation to help make this project happen. It will include about 70-90 people; and this mural will remain at the Yeoville Boarding School for hopefully years to come.

Anything helps and I am grateful many times over for each and every one of you for even taking the time to read a little bit about what we are doing. This project plan just went full-steam today. If you decide to donate please send check or money orders by May 19 so that I have time to assemble the supplies before departure.

Please send check to Melissa Wilson Nodzu, 12576 W. Lewis and Clark Drive, Boise, ID 83713. In the for section please write SVF so I can write you a receipt for your tax-deductible contribution. Any remaining money beyond art supplies will go towards purchasing another playpump. For every playpump we purchase - Playpump the company matches it. We are up to 6!

Thank you all.

Melissa Wilson Nodzu

"Letting life fill me with love,

and gaining ground on gratitude."

No comments: