Friday, January 04, 2008

Audacity of Hope strikes twice

For today, anyway, I'm walking with a renewed vigor. I don't know how long it will last, but for now it feels good. We have the opportunity this year to take our country forward, to rid ourselves of the political baggage that has weighted us down and divided us for so many years. Call me stupid, but I loved the way yesterday's Iowa caucuses turned out.

And, it struck me this morning that the "audacity of Hope" had struck twice in last night's Iowa caucus results. Another man from Hope, Arkansas, had the guts (that's audacity, of course) to think that he could wade through the money machine, take on the establishment and emerge as the front-runner in the Republican race for President.

Like most other folks, except Southerners, of course, I'd rarely heard the name Huckabee except for a family who'd moved up here from the South several years ago and had attended our church. Seems like the mother even substituted at our high school occasionally. When I first heard that Mike Huckabee from Arkansas was running for President, I wondered if he was related to the Sandpoint Huckabees.

As the months wore on, I'd hear him speak from time to time and thought he sounded like an okay guy, in spite of some of his extreme views. Now please get this straight: I don't get hung up on single issues like some folks do, just like I don't get hung up on political parties. I'm one of those stoops that actually looks for leaders who inspire me and make me proud to be a part of the American fabric. In my naive mind, their pedigree is of little consequence if they seem like the leader we need at the time.

Anyway, Mike Huckabee of Hope had that audacity along with that gift for down-to-earth inspiring oratory. He apparently struck a chord with a lot of folks in Iowa, especially the Evangelicals. Now, most folks know I'm the farthest thing from an Evangelical, but I've also heard a lot of media folks say some pretty nice things about Huckabee. And, I don't think too many of them are Evangelicals.

Huckabee won last night by nine percentage points, a clear victory. Afterward, he gave an eloquent speech, mostly off the top of his head, except for the quote he held in his hand. I was impressed with this guy from Hope, Arkansas, who had audacity and who fulfilled his crazy notion to create far more than a ripple in the Presidential scheme of things.

Then, there was the guy who penned the book called The Audacity of Hope. I must admit that I haven't had a chance to read that book yet. It sits on a desk here in the house. I'm still finishing up his first book, among the others I tend to read a smidgeon at a time. Still, I understand fully Barack Obama's audacity of hope, and I think we saw it play out once again in yesterday's Iowa caucuses.

Barack is a child of the world who dares to dream and who dares to share his dreams with an electorate sick and tired of the acrimony, back biting, and dirty tricks that have dominated politics for almost a generation. Barack is black. He offers the audacity of hope to his race. Moreover, he offers the audacity of hope to a lot of others too---male and female, young and old, rich and poor. He's an inspiring speaker, a scholar, a man with integrity who, unlike another political native of Hope, Arkansas, admits to a period in his life with no direction and a lot of drugs.

Barack Obama won by nine percentage points. Barack gave a speech, termed by some television commentators as Bobby Kennedyish. Others suggested John Kennedy. I was inspired and continue to be inspired by this rising star in America's political circles.

Who knows what's to come in the upcoming primaries, but for one night, at least, I think a lot of Americans were riveted by yesterday's Iowa caucus results. Those folks in the cornhusker state, with their long-established and complex method of choosing a primary candidate, spoke eloquently and clearly about the direction they'd like to see this 2008 election go.

Their message: money is not the root of winning, the establishment needs to get a new gig, and the same-o, same-o needs to be replaced by some refreshing new forms of leadership, regardless of political party.

Let's hope that in the upcoming primaries Americans continue to send the message of casting aside the old baggage and latching on to some new dreams, including that big one of "hope" for our country's future.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to this column ... let's "hope" the momentum continues. dlh

Anonymous said...

me too
rmt

daisymarie said...

Thank you for the "hope" link. I'm trying to be informed and intelligent this election. I am tired of having to chose between the lesser of evils and would like to "hope" that we can identify candidates who will stand for something and act upon the hope they have restored.