Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Happy birthday to two shining lights


Today I'll talk of Martin and Eleanor. Both were born this day---Martin in 1929 and Eleanor in 1918. Both serve as models of light and goodness. Both embody the concept of peace. Martin spoke eloquently through words which will continue to resonate through eternity. Sadly, he met his end in a violent act. Happily, his legacy continues to inspire.


One of my favorite assignments with my junior English students was to make them (yes, implore them to) write out a portion of King's "I Have a Dream" speech by hand----not by computer. Once written, King's words were to be followed by their own thoughts on what he had to say. Once complete, the assignment earned them an easy A.

Those who finished the assignment always seemed glad to have taken the time to think about what King's words meant. And, I'm guessing the thoughts stayed with them a little longer because of that drudgery of writing them one word at a time with their own hand, which required their own brain to do some processing.

Martin Luther King's influence transcends his race. He preached a universal message. Though directed toward Blacks, that message embodies a spirit to which we all can aspire. King deserves the annual reminders of his birth and his dream.

Eleanor celebrates 90 years of living today. And, I might add, living well. Eleanor has always served as one of my most inspirational beacons of light, much like Martin did for millions. Millions do not know Eleanor Delamarter, but those who do, most likely feel as passionately toward her as Martin's followers.

What's not to love and admire about this lady? At least, that's the way I think, and I'm surely not alone in my thoughts. I know her family and friends share the reverence that this kind, caring lady so well deserves.

We all know a few people like Eleanor in our lives---those who quietly and unassumingly radiate goodness virtually every day of their existence. The Eleanor Delamarter's of the world stand out as cherished examples for those of us flawed souls
who wish we could be like that.

I celebrate Eleanor's birthday in today's posting, not only because she's 90 but also because she served as one of the surrogates along my bumpy road. I've had a few, but this lady stepped into my life at a time when I felt the most like a failure--- an awkward, untalented klutz. Her patience and generosity with her time and guidance stood out as gifts given from a pure and unselfish heart.

Who else would welcome the neighbor girl into the house, direct her toward the sewing machine in the bedroom and guide her for hours in the seemingly impossible quest of getting her to sew a straight line.

Instead of a "dream" like Martin's, I'm sure my constant presence in her home and continued off-road stitches provided Eleanor a daily nightmare. If so, it never showed. Always with a smile and a kind sense of humor, she stuck with me to the end of that project, though it took weeks.


Eleanor's talent for sewing never rubbed off on me, nor did her incomparable patience. Nonetheless, both contributed toward the lifelong admiration I've had for this woman, this matriarch, this good soul who's surely earned her halo. Eleanor may not have stood before the masses preaching like Martin, but her message of goodness and caring for others through actions rather than words has left a profound impact on all who know her.

So, I say Eleanor deserves a few kudos on this birthday shared with one of America's icons. She has lived the dream that Martin Luther King preached, silently so, but oh so eloquently.

Happy birthday, Eleanor. Happy birthday, Martin. Two icons. Different circumstances.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I second the happy birthday. Eleanor was a very positive influence during my childhood and my memories are many and happy.

Janet

Chad Berkley said...

Hey Marianne,

It's cool you blogged this today. I was just thinking about MLK the other day when I was driving through Colorado and a random radio station was playing Dr. King's speech that he made at the Riverside Church in New York in 1967. It's an amazing speech and it shows how he would eventually bring his "platform" full circle to include not just his African American brethren, but all people who suffer because of unjust government policies. I highly recommend having a listen. I'm sure you can find it on the internet.
-chad

Melissa Nodzu said...

Marianne -

Since the day Te was born I tell him that he picked an awesome day to share a birthday with Martin Luther King :) and because of that I have a feeling he'll go on to do great things. Now were counting 3 fingers - they grow fast!

Hope to see you in Boise at the Market sometime this summer :)

Melissa