Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Smile, it's a new year with new possibilities


I wrote "2008" about ten times yesterday (while paying my bills), and it (writing 2008, not paying the bills) felt good. I like the year because it allows me to do more smiley faces when I autograph a book or send a greeting card with the date on the outside envelope. Smiley faces became a part of my being generations ago as a classroom teacher.


Don't know from whom I stole the idea, but I do know that, like many in my profession, I stuck 'em as stickers or left my own rather pathetic hand-drawn smiley on several thousand graded English assignments. It seemed like a good thing to do, and it seemed like everyone could use a reminder to smile.

Actually, "Smile" got into my system long ago when Dick Sodorff coerced me to take over the Ponderettes Drill Team. I had about as much talent in that discipline as I did as an artist. The one thing I did know how to instill within the troops, however, was to "Smile." Regardless of how well the drill was going, I just figured if they remembered to smile, it wouldn't look so bad if it was a disaster, and it would look wonderful if successful.

I think I must've uttered the word several thousand times while running alongside the Ponderettes in parades or practices. I'm hoping the reminder stuck with a lot of them and that they passed along the tradition to the folks they have met in life.

It's hard to estimate the value of a smile well-placed. I guess you've got to talk to the recipient to know just how much it means, but I'm guessing it sends off enough "feel good endorphins" that one little unsolicited smile might just get that person through the day. I love to give away smiles, and I get mad at myself sometimes for forgetting to be so generous with those teeth and lips to perfect strangers or to long-lost friends.

Another feel-good I learned years ago was to take the time to wish a person a good day. Again, I falter from time to time. It's been a while since I wished Bill a good day when he stands downstairs while I'm writing my blog and says, "So long." He hasn't headed off to work on the same schedule for several days, but still I've been remiss in extending that wish to him on a daily basis. So, I'm gonna work at it in 2008 along with issuing all the potential smiley faces.

I made a practice----sometimes it was very difficult because of occasionally negative classroom circumstances---of encouraging my students to "have a good day" as they'd go out the door at the end of each class hour. I eventually found that consistency or reinforcement breeds emulation. Eventually, the students began to reciprocate, and it felt very good to hear them occasionally wish me "a good day."

The practice of wishing little positive fuzzies to others transferred into my life as an author. I always leave my goofy smiley faces somewhere in the autograph, and just in case anyone out there has a book where I've forgotten, let me know and I'll fix the situation. This past year most folks got double doses cuz it was 2007. Those double zeroes make for great smiles to go along with the ones I draw so badly.

Now, it's 2008, and I can quadruple my efforts cuz that "8" offers double the possibilities of past autographs. Of course, there are the folks who have to complain that I'm writing a whole 'nother book when I autograph that page, and that ilk will really complain when I take the extra time to do four smilies on one page.

I don't care, though, because life is hard enough as we slog along in our daily trenches, and "every little bit counts said the old lady as she peed in the ocean." That was one of my dad's favorite sayings, which definitely stuck with me, and it makes me smile every time I think of it.

So, if we could all be like that lady peeing in that ocean and remember to do our part with those crazy little smiles, both drawn and given, think of what a better day we'd all have and what a happier world this could be.

Smile! Have a good day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the new look! I see you got your sitemeter on there as well! Nice work! -Jenny

Anonymous said...

You definitely made me smile this morning. I hadn't heard the one about the little old lady and I love it.

Janet