Friday, April 04, 2008

A Day No Snow Would Fall


It takes time for withdrawal. One can't just go "cold turkey" while ridding oneself of the desire to quit talking about snow. So, I still have to mention it in my blogs, cuz it's still here.


But

No snow fell here yesterday, and that is a day to mark on the 2008 calendar.

But

That wretched weather man said we may have some more tonight, so I may go off the wagon a few more times before my blog is completely clear of all mention of snow---for a few months anyway.

So, that's the sum total of my talk about snow. I think.

Now, on to greater news.

One of this week's projects was getting my greenhouse moved from All Seasons Nursery in Kootenai to the Lovestead---about four miles. So, on Willie's last day home, I decided to start calling around to see if I could find someone to move it for me.

I looked in the yellow pages and found a listing called "Affordable Moving." So, I called and got the answering machine. I told the answering machine that I had a 6 by 8 foot greenhouse to move approximately 3-4 miles. I asked the answering machine if they did that sort of thing and how much it would cost.

Within the hour, a call appeared on my computer answering machine, announcing that, yes, they move sheds, and usually it would be $400.

I did not call back, figuring that if I hooked a rope on the greenhouse and dragged it northward by myself for a couple of days, I'd go that route rather than paying $400. Certainly some trucker would come along, feel sorry for me, load it up and haul it home.

So, then Bill told me to call Lipperts cuz, among the many things they do, the family business does hauling. I called Harvey and told him the same information I'd told the other guy. He said he'd go look at the greenhouse and decide if he could do it.

He called me later that evening and said it could be done. I asked how much. He said $50. I happily paid him $100 yesterday morning when he and his two helpers rolled in the driveway, took the greenhouse from the flatbed, and set it in the designated spot.

I wish I could tell people when they call and ask me if I'll look over their Pulitzer Prize-winning novel for free, that I don't pick up a page without charging $400. I guess some of us don't have business sense.

But

I do have a greenhouse, and it went to work within minutes of Harvey's departure. It took me almost an hour to haul every plant tray inside this house outside to the greenhouse. By the time I had everything inside the greenhouse, the plant aroma was magical. The place smelled like a real greenhouse. My marigolds---their buds are just about to burst open---won the prize for sounding off the loudest with their distinct marigold odor.

I was in heaven. I spent practically the entire morning planting a few more pots, taking my garden stuff to the available space in the greenhouse corner. All the while, the dogs stood outside the door anxiously wanting in while I happily watered, arranged, and poked more marigold, green pepper and cabbage seeds into potting soil.

Afterward, I must have visited the greenhouse a dozen times, checking for progress. Well, all those plants, especially the tomatoes, seemed to like their new home because the green looks greener.

After greenhouse duty, I moved on to spring horse cleaning. Finally the six-foot snowbank along the fence line has diminished to just a few patches of snow. Finally, I could tie a horse to the barnyard board fence and not have to worry about being trampled while trying to brush both sides in a shoveled-out space no more than five feet wide.

Both horses vied for attention on both sides of the fence. Horses love having their hides stroked with rubber curry combs in the spring. They also love heckling each other over the fence, so I spent a bit of my time throwing snowballs at the horse not being groomed so that the horse being groomed could enjoy the massage experience in relative peace.

I also brought along a riding crop while grooming Lily who, at three, should be ready to learn to quit pawing every time she grows impatient. My patience with that behavior has ended, so every time Lily picked up a front foot to dig into the soft ground, I picked up my crop and gave her a whomp. I did not have to do that very many times, and I'm hoping she'll get out of the habit before she heads to the trainer. Please don't report this abuse to PETA.

Once both horses had received their currying, brushing, combing and scissor clips, they went back to the mucky barnyard, and I went inside, changed from my barn boots into my low cut boots. With the dogs confined to the garage, I knocked the foot of snow off my lovely pink bike and took off for a ride.

I pedaled down Selle Road and turned off to West Shingle Mill Road. Except for pedaling past the dead mama moose still lying next to the railroad tracks, the ride was glorious People were out working, birds were singing, water was flowing, wind was blowing.

Once again, I felt like I was in Heaven. Thank you, God. We appreciate days like yesterday, which was topped off for me with a visit from our nice new neighbors who moved to a house on Selle Road last fall.


The only down side to the day was hearing about that snow, which might come tonight, and feeling the need to carry all those plants back into the house. Bill told me to leave one "canary" plant out in the greenhouse along with his special sensor which lets us know inside our house what the temperature inside the greenhouse is.

Well, this morning the sensor read 28 degrees. So, it was a smart move to bring those plants back inside. But these homegrown wonders seem to be tough---the token marigold left in the greenhouse looks as green and healthy as its friends who spent the night in the big house. Nonetheless, just like my withdrawal from talking about snow, I think a gradual introduction to the lovely new greenhouse will be appropriate for my plants.

All in all, a wonderful day. Again, thank you, God!!!!

No comments: