Monday, April 14, 2008

The Alternative Route

It struck me on this dreary rainy Monday that I haven't been to town in a few days. Maybe that's what I'll do for fun sometime today after all the stuff I can do indoors is done. It's kind of a strange feeling to think about how often I DON'T go to town anymore in comparison to the good ol' days when a trip to Yoke's or the Sandpoint post office was a staple at least once a day every single day.

These days, with exhorbitant gas prices and living nine miles out, I plan those trips to town with an eye for efficiency before ever leaving the house. I list all the places I have to go and stack what needs to go to the post office or the bank on the kitchen island so I don't forget. I also plot out the most direct route to the closest places to complete the errands, usually as much on the north side of Sandpoint as possible. Gotta make the gas count and gotta make the time count.

Used to be that I just jumped in the car whenever any errand came up, did it, came home, and never thought twice about making a separate trip to do other errands. Life has certainly changed because of the gas prices and, more importantly, because of not wanting to deal with the traffic snarls and stops that have come to dominate downtown maneuvering.

Friday night we drove to Hope for dinner. It's the second Friday in a row, and we decided we've rather like the option. Hope is 15 miles away, but the extra miles and gas are worth it when you consider the main reason for going out for dinner is relaxation and enjoyment. Within those first few miles, we're crossing the bridge over Lower Pack River and getting the first views of magnificent Lake Pend Oreille.

We also have no stoplights to keep us waiting. The scenery is always breath-taking, even to 60-year-olds who've lived here forever.

On this route, we note the progress on Jack Nicklaus' Idaho Club golf course and high-end housing development. Doesn't make us happy to know parts of that mountain are being blown away to afford space and roads for million-dollar second homes, but fortunately, most of it can't be seen from the highway. Overall, the drive to Hope is carefree and relaxing in comparison to what seems to be the norm in downtown Sandpoint these days.

Two weeks ago we went to Ice House Pizza and had a funky good time while feasting one of Bear's unique pizzas. This past Friday night we chose the Hope Market Cafe and enjoyed another wonderful dining experience in a setting where a full view down the channel of Lake Pend Oreille more than satisfies the esthetic palette while waiting for the market's vast array of dining specials, gourmet pizzas, or hamburgers.

We chose the Hope Market because I learned last week that one of my former students, Skip Harris, prepares the food and presents it beautifully and artistically. Bill ordered the Tony & Oli pizza with marinara, Canadian bacon, Italian sausage, mushrooms, onion and green peppers while I chose the frostburger with a mouth-watering fat patty dressed in Canadian bacon, aged cheddar, stoneground mustard, romaine and homemade bun.

Neither of us was disappointed in this relaxing and tasty experience at what was once Butler's One Stop, turned restaurant and market. One can also do some shopping while dining because the restaurant managers stock several shelves with exquisitely-packaged gourmet items from around the world.

We saw a jar of dried mushrooms go out the door in the hands of some satisfied patrons who ordered Skip's stuffed sole dish that night. While perusing the shelves of pasta, olive oil, cheeses and other assorteds, I couldn't resist an attractive jar of chocolate syrup prepared in Red Lodge, Mont. We've been enjoying delightful chocolate reminders of our Hope Market visit on top of our vanilla ice cream every night since.

Life has definitely changed our ways since we moved out here, and the location offers us a variety of routes to go when we want to escape the hubbub and snarls that seem to dominate the downtown atmosphere these days. There's always Bonners Ferry, and our gradual discovery of the Hope possibilities makes for some fun times in leisurely scenic drives, fine dining and stress-free shopping without dreading the waits at stop signs or railroad crossings.

Nonetheless, it's always good to get into town to see what I'm missing. So, that's probably what I'll do to for a fun distraction on this rainy day. Of course, I'll make up an errand list before I go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We biked the refuge in Bonners yesterday, thanks to your blog. It was so beautiful. I haven't biked in 10 years....but now I think I'm hooked again! AND we ended up in short sleeves! -Betsy

SimplyDarlene said...

Stop it! You are making me even more homesick than I thought possible for my native north Idaho...

Hope is where I married another Sandpointer and Bonners is where he lived for a spell...both favorites of ours.

And BTW, I also plan my once-weekly town trips carefully--gotta go to town and get 'er done quickly--so you can get back to the dirt roads and sanity. ;-)