Friday, September 12, 2008

Got Sarah Palin Stuff? Send it.

I've had Sarah on the mind for nearly two weeks now. And, I've discovered I'm not alone. It seems like everywhere I go, someone has an opinion. I've also discovered, around these parts in an election year, that those opinions can evoke discussion as spirited at our local Bypass issue, which has gone on among residents in this area since long before Sarah was born here in 1964.

They say the Bypass is finally a done deal because of the recent court appeal by NICAN (the organization opposed to the route around Sandpoint which would alleviate the perennial bottleneck for folks headed north or east of town ) in Seattle which found in favor of moving on with bypass construction.

Like our local bypass issue, Gov. Sarah Palin's candidacy for Vice President of the United States can evoke similar spirit to the conversation, debate, argument---whatever you wish to call it. So far, I've not run across much moderation in these views. The difference is that the Sarah issue will be decided in lightning fast time with the November Presidential election compared to the bypass debate which continues to go on in spite of the court decision.

In my case, I've got Sarah on my mind because of journalism and because of the opportunity to craft some wording which could easily turn into coveted historic facts appearing in a few publications.

My approach in this quest has been to find the facts---accurate details, no less---and to look for angles that have not already been beaten to death or massacred by the worldwide media.

This has involved a lot of hours of research on beautiful September days when I should be riding my horse, but I'm a journalist, born with a nose for news and the inherent desire to uncover refreshing, insightful material about the make-up of this lady (not the lipstick, mind you) that will stand the test of time.

While involved in this ongoing quest, I've run across a multitude of Sarah-filled conversations in barbershops, museums, over the phone, via email, in the schools, on bike rides down country roads, and, yes, even at home. Almost every day over the past week or so, Bill has come in the door and almost immediately asked, "What's new on the Sarah front today?"

Some folks have told me they've read everything they can get their hands on regarding this lady who has burst on to the national and world scene in a manner reminiscent of Beatles, who first performed on the Ed Sullivan show in America, Feb. 9, 1964, two days before Sarah was born here in Sandpoint.

Have I stretched that a bit? Well, only time will tell.


I don't know how long Sarah's shelf life of fascination will be, but I think, as a journalist, and lover of history, we must be prepared. I had a discussion yesterday with a group of locals made up of staunch Republicans and staunch Democrats, and they all tended to agree that, politics aside, this is a story for Sandpoint.

This discussion was spirited, just like the Bypass, but we all could agree on different reasons why we should be prepared in this community for the possible onslaught of interest that could come to Sandpoint because of her birth and her first three months spent here.

Before launching this discussion, I did some research on a couple of other Vice Presidential candidates. I wanted to know if the communities where they were born have done anything historic to honor their moments in the national political spotlight.

I picked Dick Cheney because he has not and does not intend to go on to be President like George Bush, Sr., or Gerald Ford. I learned that he was born in Lincoln, Neb. After calling the Chamber of Commerce in Lincoln, I was directed to the state Historical Preservation office where its deputy officer told me that the house where the vice president lived had gotten some attention but nothing more than that.

He did mention Gerald Ford, who lived in Omaha, Nebraska for his first four months before moving to Michigan. During Ford's Presidency, two city lots were converted into a park known as the Gerald Ford Conservation Center. The center includes a kiosk devoted to Ford's life and a monument devoted to all the Presidents. Apparently, the Ford family's house burned down. The officer told me that the site also includes a rose garden dedicated to Betty Ford.

Next, I asked some questions of the Crawford House Museum in Newburgh, NY, where Democratic Vice Presidential candidate Geraldine Ferraro was born. Aside from having her book in the museum collection, nothing else exists, according to a museum staff member with whom I talked. Newburgh is located on the Hudson River north of New York City.

Why is Sarah Palin important historically? Why to Sandpoint?

She's the first woman to be nominated for Vice President by the Republican party. She's the youngest governor and the first woman governor of Alaska. Her father grew up here and taught here. She was born here. She has returned here for visits. Many of the family friends in Alaska are originally from Sandpoint.

Who knows if Sarah's fame will be fleeting or if it will be forever? Since the question cannot be answered, but since the odds are 50 percent in either favor, it seems wise to prepare right now historically for future years when interest in her birthplace may draw folks to Sandpoint.

So, with that in mind, I've been given the go-ahead to put out a call for Sarah Palin memorabilia which would be appropriate for a Bonner County Historical Society museum collection. If you have printed materials with the mention of Sandpoint as her birthplace, if you have T-shirts, hats, photos, anything somewhat unique pertaining to her, you can contact the museum for further information.

Obviously, contacting the staff before sending the material would be helpful to avoid an overabundance of duplication. For more information about the museum itself and to contact staff, check out this link http://www.bonnercountyhistory.org/index.html.

In the meantime, we'll have to wait to see how this all plays out in November.

Note: Due to this blogger's error, I have corrected the date for the beginning of American Beatlemania. Please note. And, thanks, Joe, for bringing it to my attention.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Is the house where she was born still standing? I assume it was in Hope? Can you give us the location?