Wednesday, September 24, 2008

One of those mornings



Note: After my initial posting, complaining of frustration, an accomplice told me of another place to pilfer the book cover. So, I got a mini-photo. You can see the real thing on any of the mega-bookstore sites.



As yet, this morning hasn't quite gotten off the ground right. I've had days like this, and, in my old age, am learning not to fight the forces that seem to get in my way.

The day started on an even keel. Early morning reading of overnight Internet action while sipping coffee. Writing a note to Keith to let him know the busy weekend could get in the way of my attending his book event at Pend Oreille Winery and promising I'd put his book cover on my blog today.

Then, I headed outside to do the usual horse turnout. I noticed the wind, which kept the temperature up, blew some of the covers from my 'maters. But the 'maters didn't freeze, and the covers were dry, so I put them away.

After watching the horses race in the wind around their lush green fall pasture, I picked the remainder of the plum crop----four total from the original eight. I yelled at Bill, who was in the bathroom, that he could take the plum crop to work with him.

Then, I walked out to get the papers. Empty boxes. Expletives. I can get mad, but no papers in the box can make me really mad. I didn't stomp back to the house because, of course, I'm getting older and learning to put a smile where the frown wants to be.

This, I thought to myself, will give me time to do my blog early and put Keith's book cover on the top and to tell people that Keith has a few expletives not deleted in his new book The Dart Board King. Keith doesn't always delete the expletives in his award-winning literature, and he told me this book needs an upfront caution to readers who don't like expletives.

I came inside, made my obligatory blog latte, and sat down to work. Keith had written me a note, telling me that he'd see that I got a copy of his book, even if I don't make it to the signing. I then proceeded to copy and paste the book cover from Amazon.com to my blog clipboard.

Amazon.com must have new rules. After half an hour of thinking of every imaginative way to steal that book cover, I gave up. So, unless Keith sends me a copy of his book cover, it won't appear on Slight Detour. Instead, I'll just tell you to go to www.amazon.com and check out all the information, including the book cover.

Keith is 45, and he's finished his third book. I was 45 when I finished my first book. Does that mean my students are a whole lot smarter than their teacher? Probably so. I wouldn't be much of a teacher, I guess, if I hadn't inspired my students to be smarter than I. No children were left behind in my classes; instead, they got ahead of the game.

And, Keith is a prime example, although he was a little slow at getting off his duffer and using that great big brain inside his head. He's made up for lost time, though, and I'm pretty proud of him. Keith Lee Morris, SHS Class of 1981, is an award-winning literary figure and a respected professor at Clemson University.

Actually, it was good he took some time to get off his duffer because it was while resting on that duffer, he came up with a lot of the material that shows up in his writing. So, maybe Keith was busy doing research while I thought he was wasting that brain. Guess I was the dumb one there, right Keith?

Anyway, the morning continues to be crazy as I try to finish this posting and Dennis, the dump truck driver from Red Owl Construction, continues to bring me gravel and sand in the midst of it all. Well, at least you now know about Keith.

His signing/reading/sipping event begins at 4 p.m. this Saturday, Sept. 27, at the Pend Oreille Winery in Sandpoint. You can buy his book, sip a little wine and find out why he won't delete all those expletives. If you can't make it, go to www.Amazon.com where they don't let you steal covers for blog advertising anymore.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep on trying to smile and hope that my day goes a little more according to plan.

No comments: