Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Silly Season


It gets sillier and sillier: Bill has just said, "So long" for the fifth time this morning. He's walked out the door at least three times, only to return for something. I haven't really been paying attention, except that I keep saying "good bye" to him. He only got one "Have a good day" during all those good byes.

That was the first time he went out the door. I figure one "Have a good day" is enough but maybe not. We all may need a lot of "good day" wishes, depending on what happens in places far away that tend to disrupt our routines, our future lives and our bank accounts.

This is not only the silly season, but it's also the scary season. Another comment Bill made in one of his re-entries was, "How many more days? Iz it 39?"

That was in response to my announcement that I'd read two headlines in the same Yahoo grouping yesterday. One dealt with President Bush advising the nation about the bail-out; the other noted that Bill Clinton was going to give Todd Palin some advice.

Now there are two cases of reassuring guidance the recipients really need.

My journalistically objective mind gave George Bush pretty high marks for summarizing the problems we're facing in the financial world. In fact, while listening to his short speech last night, I looked over at Bill and said, "He's actually giving a pretty straightforward overview of the situation." Bill nodded. Later, I heard something that I was waiting to hear in the President's address but did not.

After the speech, a Senator pointed out that it would have been nice for Mr. Bush to add that while the mice were playing with all that money and giving all those loans to all those people who couldn't pay all that money, the cats were off having a beer in some bar, letting the mice get away with with highway robbery. Well, that wasn't the way the Senator said it, but that was the essence of his comment.

I'm glad to see that the checks and balances, which should have been occurring during the years of this financial insanity, seem to be unfolding among members of Congress, both Democrat and Republican, who need to cover their behinds before election day.

Those folks know that checks and balances still exist for them. They screw up with their decision on this bail-out plan and all those people who can't write any more checks cuz their balances don't exist are gonna vote 'em out of office.

There's a lot more I'd like to say about this Silly Season, but I'm gonna remain neutral politically. Instead, I'm gonna just keep on watching the action, scratching my head, making comments to Bill and wishing everyone a good day.

I'm also gonna keep wondering what kind of sage advice Bill Clinton has to offer Todd Palin.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

Bill Clinton will probably tell Todd ... that no matter what... keep your mouth shut... as it will work against your wife. lol