Saturday, October 18, 2008

Saturday Slight--one day and counting




I'm waiting for my papers to come again, so my brain is not in the right gear. I'm particularly agitated to have to wait because my story about Gov. Sarah Palin is in today's Spokesman, and I have not seen the Spokesman version in print.
It does, however, appear at http://www.spokesmanreview.com/local/story.asp?ID=264821, so if you want to read it, check it out. Update: I've been told you have to provide a password if you're a new user. Here's another way to get to the story: google "sarah palin tom albertson joe parenteau" and that should get you to it. I've also discovered that the paper put the wrong names under photos. So, the guy you'll see online is Tom Albertson, not Joe Parenteau. Ah, the fun and games of short-changing the newspaper staffs.
In the meantime, I'll go see if our papers have arrived and will finish this post as soon as I've read the papers.
******
The papers finally came. They ran almost all of the Palin story but cut the last few paragraphs, so I'll probably post it in its entirety on the blog tomorrow. I also have a few photos to add. So, stay tuned.
*********
I heard the sad news yesterday about Louanne Daarstad's passing. This morning's local paper featured a wonderfully written story of Louanne's life. Funny and sad how you can know a person but never know the full extent of their achievements until after they are gone.
Louanne's life was fascinating, (www.lakeviewfuneral.com) to say the least, but Louanne would never talk about herself.
To those of us in Sandpoint, she was all about her family, proud, always supportive, protective, engaged in a quiet, thoughtful way.
And, she had reason to be: Erik, her husband, the Academy-Award-winning cinematographer who traveled the world and chronicled deep, meaningful stories of war, art, music, culture, et. al.; co-producer of our Sandpoint video.
And, their three children, Kari, Heather and Even---all great successes in their own right. I had the honor of teaching both Kari and Heather. The Daarstads moved away for a while so I missed having Even, who is a teacher in Southern California.
I spent much time with Kari, as she was my yearbook editor in 1982-83. I still get together with her for lunch with our mutual friend, Jeralyn. I've written about both of them in my most recent book.
We Loves have dined with the Daarstad's. I'll never forget the night when we went to their home in Wrenco and had fondue along with Erik's phenomenal margaritas.
I don't know if it was the margaritas or the actual event that had us adults in hysterics when young Willie was about to bite into his forkful of raw chicken. He had no idea that it had to be dipped and cooked in the fondue pot first.
My heart goes out to the Daarstad family as they grieve the loss of a devoted mother, wife and grandmother. I know of many people in this area who feel the loss of a beloved friend.
*******
Tomorrow is the big birthday for Annie. I have loved posting the photos this week. It's so hard to believe that these 30 years have sped by so quickly.
**********
A special hello this morning to Dave Cochran and Dean Currie. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting with you last night at Second Avenue Pizza, and I hope you'll tune in to Slight Detour from now on. I could have yakked with you for hours.
******
Happy Saturday to all.

No comments: