Friday, October 17, 2008

Wedding crashers, et. al.



As we continue this week leading up to Annie's 30th birthday, I had to include this photo. Ruthie May Eich took it back in the early 1980s at an outdoor wedding. How 'bout those spit-shined kids?

Well, this angelic sight was short-lived.

It was a Chambers wedding. My friend of "The Candle" fame, Marilyn Chambers, had planned meticulously along with her daughter Mari. I teensat Chambers kids, while Chambers kids and mom occasionally babysat Willie and Annie.

So, of course, they were naturals for the ringbearer and flower girl. Marilyn sewed Willie's suit herself and ordered Annie's little dress, which was a perfect fit. Before the wedding, former Ponderettes from my drill team primped themselves and Annie, carefully styling her hair. Willie's Dutch Boy look was standard for him at the time. His only problem with bad hair was his mother's unsteady hand with the scissors. Still, he was adorable.

I couldn't believe the magnificent sight of my polished little cherubs before the wedding, which was in the Chambers north yard with their huge hayfield and the beautiful Selkirk Mountains in the background.

I could believe Annie's cut-ups, however, during the wedding ceremony. One of the bridesmaids did her best to keep Annie quiet but, at times, in vain. Of course, eyes darted from the bride to Annie throughout the wedding. That's often customary whenever darling little kids are involved and whenever darling little kids don't exactly step to the beat of their elders.

Everyone, except the parents, thinks this is really cute. I know I've delighted many a time during weddings as little kids have spontaneously supplied their own subplot to the show.

I held off getting mad in favor of adoring my cute kids because I knew this too would pass.

Well, it didn't.

Yes, the wedding ceremony ended without much incident, but the scattering of the masses provided Willie and Annie's cue to go into action. Lucky the photos were taken BEFORE the wedding.

Rather than enjoying the wedding feast, held outside and catered, I spent my time chasing kids, who chose that time to run away from Mom and once snatched by Mom to wiggle their way out of my firm grasp on their little paws.

One does not want to show one's ire too much during a wedding reception, so all the time I was disciplining my babes, folks were walking up and talking to me. I was putting on the best fake smile ever. Those moments of distraction served as Willie and Annie's cues to escape and race through the conviviality, rolling through the grass, providing conviviality of their own.

The straw that broke the camel's back and almost the food tent was when they thought it fun to scale the metal stakes holding up the tank. Once more with firm instructions to Bill to grab whichever one he could catch, I went after my half of the terrible two.

Once caught, we steered them toward the car. Our forward motion was interrupted when Marilyn came along and insisted that we stay and that the kids were just fine.

We differed in opinion, proceeded to stuff the squirming masses into the car and shut the door before they could escape once more.

Once home, we surveyed the damage. Willie's white pants had green knees. His crotch was split.

Annie's beautiful dress was covered with grass stains and the skirt was separated from the top. She had bad hair.

Fortunate for us, Ruthie had snapped some reminders that they did have their angelic moments. And, both have had many since.

I haven't heard whether they've ever had to leave a wedding reception early since that fateful day at the Chambers farm. I do know that Marilyn has never since asked for their services.

Happy Friday!



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love these walks down memory lane ...

Word Tosser said...

too bad you didn't have an after the wedding picture....

Reminds me of when my granddaughter at the age of 4 was a flower girl for her uncle's wedding. Her mother was a maid of honor... to watch my daughter try to rein in her daughter, as she decided to sit on the steps of the alter, taking her neckline of her dress off and on her shoulder as the vows were being said. In my mind the tune of "Let me entertain you" was ringing in my head, and I had to stiffle my laughter... to the glares of my daughter...
Ah, grandchildren... the best revenge on your children...lol