Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A brand new American chapter


We know the characters. We know the setting. We know the proposed themes.


We do not know how the plot will unfold or how it will end.

Nonetheless, we have begun a new chapter in American history.

It's always fun to turn the page. I've been doing that each night as I awaken and read a new chapter in my cousin Brendan's novel Dream City, set in Chicago.

I'm to the point in Brendan's book where the protagonist has met the office secretary. So far, Michael Halligan has experienced his share of major difficulties, meeting head-on several times with cruel life realities while in the midst of clinging to the ideals of his storybook heroes like Flash Gordon who can overcome unbeatable odds to do good works.

I don't know where the main character Michael is headed in this book, but he does have some idealistic role models who occupy the pages of his Big Little Books whose influence may just guide him the direction he needs to find happiness and overall satisfaction with his life. Happy endings are not guaranteed, so I'll just have to keep turning the pages to see the outcome.

I was too tired last night to read a new chapter in Brendan's book because of an uneasy but, oh so fulfilling evening spent welcoming a new American chapter in our big, fat history books. And, to think the first official page in that book turned itself in Brendan's Dream City last night, where there are heroes who can help us combat the difficulties that lie ahead.

The election is over. The electorate has spoken.

We move on, but before we do, I feel compelled to make a few observations.

To my son, Willie, I've already thanked you over the phone while you were working at your sports reporting last night, but I must thank you publicly. Thank you for your suggestion of four years ago: Mom, I know you support President Bush, but you ought to listen to this man speak.

I listened. Since then, I've read the words he has written in his first book, ironically titled Dreams of My Father. I have watched him speak on every occasion possible, even that day when Willie held his cell phone open at the Boise rally.

I have donated to his campaign. Like so many Americans, I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and attended my first-ever Democratic caucus at Sandpoint's Panida Theater. It was an amazing experience, seeing all the like-minded souls who showed up at their first caucus ever.

Throughout the year, I have watched my candidate for President intensely, waiting for him to falter yet pulling for him to continue his steady, meticulously planned course toward the Presidency. The negatives appeared in my in-box and in the ads. I've seen the negatives before, carefully crafted to instill fear, doubt, disgust.

I watched him rise above the negatives and stay on course, just like Michael Halligan's storybook heroes. I never viewed him as a Messiah or as a water walker. I heard warnings to watch out for a speaker with such charisma.

Whenever I heard that notion, I thought of the charismatics I've known in my lifetime---Mr. Barnes, the history teacher I had five times at the University of Idaho whose eloquence kept me mesmerized. He had done no harm to my life. I'm proud to have a minor in history because of Mr. Barnes' knowledge, and, yes, his charisma.

Dale Tritton was my psychology teacher at the U of I. He had charisma. I listened every day in his class my junior year and rarely had to take a note to earn an A. Big change from some of the early years at the university. I've never felt his eloquence hurt me in any way.

Jack Bloxom was our eighth-grade social studies teacher at Sandpoint Junior High---good-looking, well-spoken, demanding, sometimes scary but charismatic. I respected Jack Bloxom. I
worked hard in his class and followed his no-nonsense teaching role model when I began my own career as an educator.

I moved on. Jack Bloxom moved on, retiring a few years ago as the much-beloved North Idaho College baseball coach. I feel fortunate to have had him as a role model for my own professional pathway.

Bob Hamilton had charisma, intensely so. There's hardly a product of his around who doesn't view him as a key person who made a difference in their lives. Bob was a journalism teacher who inspired his students to think big, to stretch themselves and to do it right. He did so with a passion and a vision, both of which were infectious.

I could go on and on about others in my life who were endowed with that special touch, whose words could lead and inspire. I can also, like anyone, cite instances where charismatic leaders have duped their followers or have led them astray. That's life. Humankind is a mixture of good and evil, often wrapped in different packages.

I believe the package which Willie suggested that I examine four years ago is genuine. I have great hopes for his talents, his intelligence, his common sense, and his sense of history. I may not agree with him on every issue, but he represents the type of leader I believe can steer this country forward for Americans and for the world.

I also want to say that Sen. John McCain's concession speech last night was nothing short of eloquent, charismatic and gracious. John McCain is considered an American hero; he demonstrated that quality last night.

A chapter in our American story has ended, and we have turned the page today. We have a protagonist to help us visualize our perennial American dream. May he and we move forward to write a phenomenal chapter to be savored and emulated in the far reaches of the future.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The spoken word is much more powerful than the mightiest weaponry because it inspires others to do what needs to be done. It's comforting to know we now have an eloquent leader to inspire us all to do our part. I've been troubled for some time about the direction our country has taken, the way the bar has been lowered so that our role models have become Larry the Cable Guy and Joe Sixpack. The bar has been raised - may we all rise to the occasion...

Lili Dot said...

Well said, Marianne. But, let's not forget to add you to the list of passionate and charismatic teachers, too!

Tumblewords: said...

Somehow the higher bar evokes such great hope. May the dumbing down process meet its end while our new leader stands straight and speaks eloquently while using his incredible intelligence! Nice post!

Anonymous said...

Marianne, You will always be at the top of my list. This blog has been a real lifesaver for me at times. It brings me joy to read about the area I love so dearly. Your friend, the cellar rat

Anonymous said...

Marianne, Mike and I held vigil all Tuesday night, beginning at midnight and concluding with Mr. McCain's eloquent and very gracious concession speech at 5:00am. While living overseas has been terrific (and especially appreciated during the craziness of the past few election-looming months) it would have been nice to have been in-country for this historic moment. We sent in our absentee ballots, even calling the Clerk of Bonner County Court to ensure that we were dotting our "i's" in the approved manner. It was heartwarming to hear the voice on the other end of the phone asking where we lived, and when I responded, "The Netherlands", she exclaimed, "Oh, I'm so glad your ballots got there!!". I forget that Europe can seem very far away at times, but was impressed that this woman personally remembered sending us our ballots!
I believe, with you, that a new chapter, a new horizon, and new hope looms for the U.S.; we realize every day that we are ambassadors for our country, even in the least situation, and that was confirmed when we both received several messages from non-American friends congratulating us on our new president. The world keeps a close eye on American goings-on, there's no doubt.
I hope you and Bill are well, we won't be back this holiday season, but are hoping to put in an appearance next summer and can hopefully catch up then!
Love, Monica