Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Day in the Life of a Great Nation


I believe today should be a holiday. Each four years, when we invest so much of our hearts, energy, emotions, money and hopes into a campaign for the Presidency, which now lasts nearly two years, we should get the day off to exercise our right to vote for the candidates we have chosen.


Americans should not have to run the gauntlet through rush-hour traffic to go stand in long, long lines to vote. We, as a nation, should value this privilege so much that we make it easier on ourselves to do our civic duty by setting this day aside as a holiday. Then, again, maybe our votes mean more if we do have to endure some challenges to make our way to the polling booth.

I don't know if our system will ever change, but I do know that I'm excited today. Within the hour, I'll steer my car over to the Northside Community Church, enjoy a little small talk with the familiar faces sitting at tables, meticulously welcoming voters, checking off names, and handing us our ballots.

I like to vote first thing in the morning, now that I'm retired; it's my symbolic gesture of demonstrating the pride I feel in being a full-fledged practicing American.

Later, this morning, I'll go pick up my mother. She votes at the Samuels precinct. This is a busy week for my sisters who usually accompany her to the polls when they do their voting after getting home from school and doing their evening chores. They also enjoy the camaraderie of our rural neighbors who've gathered at the polling place.

Because of this being parent-conference week in the school district, Barbara and Laurie are happy that I'm taking Mother earlier in the day when the lines may not be so long and they are not running at such a hectic pace.

My mother has already called me this morning, checking to see what time we'll be going to her polling place. Her television set has been on, and she's reported that there are already problems in some areas where people are trying to vote. Obviously, that's on the East Coast, where voting has already begun.

Mother can't wait to go exercise her American privilege, as she has done since the time of President Franklin Roosevelt.

I don't know whom she voted for back in wartime, but she's proud, at 87, that she has voted in every election since she turned of age. I believe the voting age at the time was 21, so 1942 must have been her first Presidential election.

Over in Seattle, my daughter Annie can't wait to go to the polls. I heard Bill ask her facetiously in a telephone conversation last night, "Who's running for governor of Washington?" As if, we haven't heard the regurgitations of how Christine hates evil Dino and Dino hates evil Christine so many times we've wanted to vomit ourselves.

This year my mother, my daughter and I are all voting for the same Presidential candidate, and we are proud to have that bond.

My son and his beloved Debbie will be doing their duty in the Boise area, if they haven't already done so. I know it's a bittersweet day for Debbie because her grandfather took such pride in helping out at his Democratic party headquarters in Boise, he'd dress up in a dapper suit for the occasion. Guy Cheek would love to be participating today, but he has passed on.

My husband never tells me how he's going to vote. He just gets the daily reports from me about the emails I've received, fearing for my sanity or implying that I may turn into a toad and croak if I vote for my candidate.

Could be Bill looks at the possibilities and never argues. Then again, maybe he agrees with me. I never really know with my hubby, who once was referred to as "the judge" because he was so noncommittal. Get him on the subject of geocaching or trees, and that's a different story.

I told Bill this morning he'd better go straight to the Northside Church from work because they said by the time he gets home tonight, there will be two options: the race will be decided, or it will be a long night. He said he doesn't care when he votes as long as it's before 8 p.m. because there are some key county positions that have attracted his interest. Of course, my mum husband will not reveal his choices there either.

Election Night is like the Super Bowl for me, whether it's the four-year Presidential race or the two-year Congressional, et. al. races. I love listening and watching until the wee hours.

I also channel surf a lot on Election Night because I love most of the commentary, hate some of it and occasionally yell out my own thoughts, almost as if I'm sitting on the sidelines of a sporting event cheering on the team or cussing the referee.

It is a great day in America, no matter our political leanings. The rest of the world is watching us, because still, the rest of the world does admire a lot about our American ways. We have done a few things right through this nation's comparatively short history, and nasty as it may seem sometimes, exercising our voting privilege every two or four years is one of our stellar traditions.

The best to all of you Americans out there as you make your way to the polls. It may not be a declared holiday yet, but it is, indeed, a great day to remind ourselves of our good fortune to live in this great nation.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

No.

Election Day is one of my favorite days of the year--or in the case of the Presidential election, of the quadrennium. To exercise one's Constitutionally-guaranteed right to vote is a great privilege and responsibility of US citizenship. To do so in the midst of a productive day of work is even more meaningful. What are you suggesting? That already burdened small businesses absorb the cost of yet another federally mandated holiday? That county, state, and federal bureacracies give all their millions of functionaries yet another day off at taxpayer expense?

America was built by those who WORK. We have enough mandated holidays, thank you.

I can glorify this nation by adding to its productivity--and I can vote at the same time!

Word Tosser said...

Wasn't the last two FDR voting in 1940 and 1944? adding into the legend of Presidents who get elected to the 20 year
(1920,1940,1960, and 1980) dying in office? Reagan did not die but the was shot, and if it wasn't for modern day meds he probably would have. 2000 (Bush jr) broke the legend that was suppose to be 100 years old.
And are you going to the Beach House for the Democrat victory party?

MLove said...

Cis,

You're, no doubt, correct. I hadn't thought about that. Surely Mother was voting from some Michigan state and local candidates that year.

I don't think I'll be able to pull myself away from the television returns tonight. Plus, this is sure a yucky day weatherwise, isn't it?

I voted at the church, was No. 46 at 8:20, and so far, I haven't found myself using that big, intellectual word "ribbet, ribbet, ribbet."

Marianne

Anonymous said...

I voted on the first day of early voting here. I like the fellowship at our local voting station, but not when there are 200 in front of me.
By the way I like your red,white and blue blog motif.
Patsy

Anonymous said...

Loyal American,

Just because it is a federally mandated holiday does not mean that EVERYONE gets it off. I work for a small company, there are federal holidays where I have to work or take leave without pay. Do you think that all of our military personnel get all federal holidays off? No way, been there done that too!

There is no Federal law that requires an employer to provide time off, paid or otherwise, to employees on nationally recognized holidays. Must holiday time off be paid? For non-exempt (hourly) employees, no. An employer does not have to pay hourly employees for time off on a holiday. An employer is only required to pay hourly employees for time actually worked. On the other hand, exempt employees (salaried employees who do not receive overtime), who are given the day off, must be paid their full weekly salary if they work any hours during the week in which the holiday falls.

Additionally, for many years I worked EVERY holiday as a waitress or in another service-related position. No one is forcing any business to absorb the cost of holidays. Companies choose to give federal (and/or other floating religious holidays) to their employees in order to make it more attractive to work for them. I worked for one company that said, you can have two of the following holidays off and we will pay you for them: MLK, President's Day, Columbus Day, or Veteran's Day.

Having lived all over the world, I can tell you that many countries have the equivalent of U.S. federal holidays. Some have more, some less than the U.S.

I suppose you are against paid vacation too. Did you know that 127other countries in the world have a vacation law? And that over 25% of working Americans don’t get any paid vacation or paid holidays? Over half receive less than 1 week of paid vacation.

Anonymous said...

"I suppose you are against paid vacation too."

?? (I don't know where that came from.)

What I am *against* is having Election Day made a federal holiday.

Anonymous said...

i can't help thinking it's awesome that there has been such long lines all over... people taking a greater interest in public issues is always a good thing